Solving a Logic Circuit Puzzle: Minimizing to SOP Form

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with a circuit that needs to be written in min SOP form. The person shares their attempts at solving it and asks for confirmation. Another person points out an error and suggests re-checking the tables. The first person then re-does the problem and comes up with a different answer, which they are more confident about.
MagLok

Homework Statement

Here is an image of the problem (Write the circuit in min SOP form.) http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ddtl0.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked at it and gone over notes but I don't get it. If you would like I can scan my sheet of scribblings on there but they're all uneducated attempts to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I went through it and I think that it's one big NAND. so the min sop is NAND(A&B&C)

Any confirmation?

So what's your equation for the output in terms of A, B, C? Show us your K-map.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9707/test2009or8.jpg

Here's a scanned copy of the latest. Not feeling too good about number 1 since I'm getting all zeros on my truth table for number 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
MagLok said:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9707/test2009or8.jpg

Here's a scanned copy of the latest. Not feeling too good about number 1 since I'm getting all zeros on my truth table for number 2.

I think I see an error in ABC~ in the first equations... And you need a pull-down on the first circuit to make it meaningful. Please re-check the tables to see if I'm making an error...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I re-did this problem and got ~C as the final answer. I'm pretty confident that that's the right answer, but please confirm :-p

EDIT:

Ok, re-did it again and got (A&~B) | (~A&B) | (B&~C) | (~B&~C)

More confident this time around :-p

Last edited:

1. How do I approach solving a logic circuit puzzle?

To solve a logic circuit puzzle, you should first familiarize yourself with the basic principles and components of logic circuits. Then, you can break down the puzzle into smaller parts and use techniques such as truth tables and Karnaugh maps to simplify the circuit and determine the minimum SOP form.

2. What is SOP form and why is it important?

SOP (Sum of Products) form is a way of representing a logic circuit using Boolean algebra. It is important because it allows for a more efficient and simplified implementation of the circuit, reducing the number of logic gates and improving the circuit's performance.

3. What tools or methods can I use to minimize a logic circuit to SOP form?

There are several tools and methods that can be used to minimize a logic circuit to SOP form. Some common ones include Karnaugh maps, Quine-McCluskey method, and Boolean algebra. Each method has its advantages and may be more suitable for different types of circuits.

4. Can I use a computer program to solve a logic circuit puzzle?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools available that can help you solve a logic circuit puzzle and minimize it to SOP form. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the principles and techniques involved in order to effectively use these tools.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving a logic circuit puzzle?

Some tips for solving a logic circuit puzzle include starting with the most complex parts of the circuit, breaking it down into smaller sub-circuits, and using logic identities and simplification rules to reduce the circuit. It is also helpful to double-check your work and be familiar with the different methods for minimizing a circuit to SOP form.