CNC machine design

• Thread starter koolraj09
  • Start date
Hi guys.
I want to design a cnc mill machine. I have to design it's structure (frame), the other things are taken care of. For this I need your guidelines like from where to start etc.. Any resources,links would also be helpful.

Answers and Replies

Hi guys.
I want to design a cnc mill machine. I have to design it's structure (frame), the other things are taken care of. For this I need your guidelines like from where to start etc.. Any resources,links would also be helpful.

First find the loads on the structure.

I'm also interested in building my own as well. The primary concern with every diy CNC machine (IMHO) is going to be a balance between cost and capability. Cost obviously being how much money you're willing to put. This directly translates to your capability, which mainly consists of what materials you can machine and what resolution you can machine it too. Because everything in series will deflect in series, your resolution will be highly dependent on what linear bearings you use, their deflection, etc.

That being said, what is your intended application? PCBs, foam, wood, fiberglass, aluminum? Also what size of each axis are you looking for? e.g. 12"*5"*3"?

This will be the driving factor in your design, hardware, and cost.

A good start would be to try google first. It doesn't seem like you've put too much research in yet, but there are dozens, if not hundreds of documented, open source, and even full CAD downloadable designs already out there for the full range of applications.

Hi guys!!
Thanks for your replies.
Actually I've 3 linear actuators. I am going to use them as usual for x,y & z axes. And the Z axis will be on a gantry. We're going to use the machine as CNC laser machine. The size is approximately 4 feet x 4 feet x 5 feet. Can you please post or mail the google links?
It would be nice of you!!