1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Co-ordinate GEO III

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1

aek

Hi all,
    can some-one be kind enough to help me through this question. Thanks i highly appreciate it.

The line 2x+3y-8=0 cuts the x and y axis at A and B respectively. The line y=ax+7 is called l. Find
    (i) in terms of a, the coordinates of the point where l cuts AB

(ii)the value of a if l is to divide Ab internally in the ratio 1:3

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Are you sure this isn't homework? Looks a lot like it!

On the x-axis, y= 0. If y= 0, then 2x- 8= 0. Solve for x to find A.
    On the y-axis, x= 0. If x= 0, then 3y- 8= 0. Solve for y to find B.

The line y= ax+ 7 cuts the line 2x+ 3y-8= 0 at (x,y) that satisfies both equations simultaneously. Solve y= ax+ 7 and 2x+ 3y- 8= 0 for x and y (which will, of course, depend upon a).

If that point divides AB "in the ratio 1:3" then it must also divide the x (and y) values in that ratio. Determine a so that the difference between 0 and the x coordinate of the dividing point is 3 times the x-difference between A and the x coordinate of the dividing point.

4. Apr 8, 2005 #3

aek

thanks for the hints HallsofIvy..yes it is homework, i just needed help to do it. Thanks again, i highly appreciate it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook