Find Possible Values of k in Co-ordinate Geometry Question

• Thread starter Trail_Builder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving points with coordinates (-3, 2), (-1, -2), and (0, k), and the task is to find possible values of k when AC is equal to 5 times BC. The method used is to use Pythagorean theorem to get equations for AC and BC, then combine them and simplify to get a quadratic equation. The correct solutions are k = 2 and k = 2.53333333... repeating, but the person initially got the wrong answer due to a careless error.
Trail_Builder
im stuck on an extension question to my hm/wk, hope you can help

Homework Statement

The points A, B and C have co-ordinate (-3, 2) (-1, -2), and (0, k) respectively, where k is constant.
Given that AC = 5BC, find the possible values of k.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used pythagorus to get an equation for AC in terms of k, then the same for BC - then combined the 2 equations, simplified and ended up with 11 = 13k + 3k^2 then completed the square ending up with k = +-(squareroot)(301/36) - (13/6)

some how I think I've gone wrong or got the wrong method.

can someone please guide me :D thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
The method seems to be right. The answer is wrong. You'll need to show us the details of how you got the quadratic to solve.

My equation becomes [tex] \[
0 = 76 + 68k + 15k^2
\]
[/tex]

... That suggests k = 2 or k= 2.53333333...repeating (two and eight-fifteenths)

..seems not to make sense.

The distance from A to C, squared, is (-3)2+ (2-k)2= 9+ 4- 4k+ k2. The distance from B to C, squared is (-1)2+ (-2-k)2= 1+ 4+ 4k+ k2. Saying that AC= 5BC is the same as AC2= 25BC2 or 13- 4k+ k2= 25(5+ 4k+ k2)= 125+ 100k+ 25k2. That gives 24k2+ 104k+ 112= 0 Dividing through by 8, that is 3k2+ 13k+ 14= 0. That doesn't look like what you got! And it factors rather easily! That's always a good sign.

thnx, i made a careless error, lol

1. What is the formula for finding the possible values of k in coordinate geometry?

The formula for finding the possible values of k in coordinate geometry is: k = y / x, where y and x are the y and x coordinates of a point on the line.

2. How do I know which values of k are valid for a specific line in coordinate geometry?

The values of k that are valid for a specific line in coordinate geometry depend on the slope of the line. If the slope is positive, then k can be any positive number. If the slope is negative, then k can be any negative number. If the slope is zero, then k is equal to zero.

3. Can there be more than one valid value of k for a line in coordinate geometry?

Yes, there can be more than one valid value of k for a line in coordinate geometry. This is because different points on the line will have different coordinates, and therefore, different values of k.

4. How does the value of k affect the position of a line in coordinate geometry?

The value of k affects the position of a line in coordinate geometry by determining the slope of the line. A larger value of k will result in a steeper slope, while a smaller value of k will result in a flatter slope.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the possible values of k in coordinate geometry?

Yes, there is a specific method for finding the possible values of k in coordinate geometry. This involves using the slope formula (m = Δy / Δx) and substituting in the given coordinates to solve for k. You can also graph the line and use the rise over run method to find the slope and therefore, the possible values of k.