Co-ordinate Geometry: Circle Problem

• Thread starter ad_bose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the coordinates of a point on a circle with respect to a given origin and how to incorporate this into a computer program. Vector addition is suggested as a method to solve this problem. The final solution involves adding the coordinates of the center of the circle to the coordinates of the point on the circle. This resolves an issue in the computer program being developed.
ad_bose
Co-ordinate Geometry (Circle problem)

I've a small Query.
Suppose a circle is plotted with its center at distance h,k (from x=0, y=0) with radius R. If theta is an angle from h,k to any point over the circle, we know that the co-ordinate of that point, from (h,k) perspective, will be Rcos(theta),Rsin(theta). In such a case, what shall be the co-ordinate of the SAME POINT, if it is taken from x,y.
circle.bmp.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF ad_bose.

May I suggest vector addition?
Let c be the vector from the origin to the center of the circle, and p the point on the circle with respect to the center. Then the vector P of the point on the circle with respect to the origin is ... ?

Thanks for your suggestion. My query is simple.

The given parameters are :
1. R = Radius of the circle
2. h,k = the co-ordinates with respect to Origin (x,y = 0,0)
3. [tex]\theta[/tex] - The angle from h,k along the x-axis to the mentioned point
If the origin is fixed at x,y and is 0,0; what will be the x-distance and the y-distance of the point from Origin.

I am actually preparing a computer program, in Embarcadero Delphi.
The code is given in attachment. Any help is highly appreciated. I need to actually place an object over the circle from 0,0. Kindly see the code.

Attachments

• CircleCode-Delphi.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 261
As I said (or was trying to say), try adding h to the x-coordinate and k to the y-coordinate.

Thanks pal, the Astrology program bug is solved.

1. What is a circle in coordinate geometry?

A circle in coordinate geometry is a set of points on a plane that are equidistant from a fixed point, called the center. It can also be defined as the locus of points that are a fixed distance (known as the radius) from the center.

2. How do you find the equation of a circle in coordinate geometry?

The equation of a circle in coordinate geometry is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius. This equation is derived from the distance formula, which states that the distance between two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is given by √[(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2].

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in circle problems?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In circle problems, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the distance between the center of the circle and any point on the circle's circumference, which is necessary for finding the equation of the circle.

4. How do you calculate the area and circumference of a circle in coordinate geometry?

The area of a circle can be calculated using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius. The circumference can be calculated using the formula C = 2πr, where r is the radius. In coordinate geometry, the radius can be found by using the distance formula to find the distance between the center of the circle and any point on the circle's circumference.

5. How can coordinate geometry be used to solve real-life circle problems?

Coordinate geometry can be used in many real-life applications, such as designing roundabouts, calculating the path of a satellite orbit, or determining the optimal placement of objects in a circular pattern. It can also be used to solve problems involving circles in daily life, such as finding the radius of a circular garden or calculating the distance between two points on a circular race track.