1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Co-ordinate Geometry

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    Co-ordinate Geometry (Circle problem)

I've a small Query.
    Suppose a circle is plotted with its center at distance h,k (from x=0, y=0) with radius R. If theta is an angle from h,k to any point over the circle, we know that the co-ordinate of that point, from (h,k) perspective, will be Rcos(theta),Rsin(theta). In such a case, what shall be the co-ordinate of the SAME POINT, if it is taken from x,y.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF ad_bose.

May I suggest vector addition?
    Let c be the vector from the origin to the center of the circle, and p the point on the circle with respect to the center. Then the vector P of the point on the circle with respect to the origin is ... ?

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your suggestion. My query is simple.

The given parameters are :
    1. R = Radius of the circle
    2. h,k = the co-ordinates with respect to Origin (x,y = 0,0)
    3. [tex]\theta[/tex] - The angle from h,k along the x-axis to the mentioned point
    If the origin is fixed at x,y and is 0,0; what will be the x-distance and the y-distance of the point from Origin.

I am actually preparing a computer program, in Embarcadero Delphi.
    The code is given in attachment. Any help is highly appreciated. I need to actually place an object over the circle from 0,0. Kindly see the code.

Attached Files:

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As I said (or was trying to say), try adding h to the x-coordinate and k to the y-coordinate.

6. Dec 15, 2008 #5
    Thanks pal, the Astrology program bug is solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?