1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Co-ordinate system

1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    Hello,

In a co-ordinate system i have to place some n elements in a square format as shown in fig. with a distance r. Instead of manually doing i would like to derive by equations, for x and y positions. The no. of elements may be 4 or 9 or 16 or 25 etc.. Can anyone help me..

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      1.3 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"In a co-ordinate system i have to place some n elements in a square format as shown in fig. with a distance r. "

Distance between two consecutive points horizontally and vertically r or distance to nearest neighbor r? (I'm going to assume "horizontally and vertically". If you meant straight line distance r, take my r to be your r divided by sqrt(2).)

You probably realized, since you have two pictures, that the problems breaks down into two cases: number of elements odd or even.
    In either case, let m= sqrt(n) (by the conditions of the problem, m is also an integer.)

If n, number of elements is odd, m is also odd: let k= (m-1)/2 (so that m= 2k+1)Then there exist a point at the origin (0,0). Every point has coordinates (ir, jr) where i and j run from -k to k by integers (including 0, of course). An algorithm to plot them might be

For (integer)i= -k to k, step 1
    {
    For (integer j= -k to k, step 1
    {
    plot(i*r,j*r);
    }
    }
    For example, if n= 9, then m= 3 and k= 1. The 9 points would have coordinates
    (-r,-r), (0,-r),(r,-r), (0,-r), (0,0), (0,r), (r,-r), (r,0), and (r,r).

if n is even, then m is also even and m= 2k for some integer k. Now all points are of the form ((i+1/2)r, (j+1/2)r) for i= 1 to k and i= -1 to -k (skipping over 0). An algorithm to plot them (but not in the same order as above) might be:
    For (integer)i= 1 to k, step 1
    {
    For (integer)j= 1 to k, step 1
    {
    plot((i+1/2)r,(j+1/2)r)
    plot((-i-1/2)r,(-j-1/2)r)
    }
    }

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?