1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Co-ordinates transformation

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi i have a question that how to convert the co-ordinates according to following statement?
    Its no difficult to solve the simple conversion but the bold one are confusing me.

A=4x-2y-4z
    Transform it into cylindrical co-ordinate system at P (ρ=4, ϕ=120o ,z=2)

B=15x+10y
    Transform it into cylindrical co-ordinate system at P(x=3, y=4, z=-1)

2. The attempt at a solution

Equations for converting Cartesian to cylindrical coordinates:

r= [x2 + y21/2
    ϕ= tan-1= y/x
    z=z

by putting values
    For First question:
    r=√20=4.472
    ϕ= -26.57
    z=-4

For Second question:
    r= 18.03
    ϕ= 33.69
    z=0

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

This is common point of confusion. What you've done is convert the Cartesian coordinates (4, -2, -4) to the equivalent cylindrical coordinates. What the problem is asking you to do, however, is different.

Take a look at the diagram at the start of this page:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CylindricalCoordinates.html

At each point, there are associated unit vectors ##\hat{\rho}##, ##\hat{\phi}##, and ##\hat{z}##. Their directions depend on which point you're at. For example, if you're at the point (1, 0, 0), ##\hat{\rho}## would point along the +x-direction, and ##\hat{\phi}## would point in the +y direction. If you're at the point (0, 1, 0), ##\hat{\rho}## would point in the +y direction, and ##\hat{\phi}## would point in the -x direction.

Given the information in bold, you can figure out what ##\hat{\rho}## and ##\hat{\phi}## are. ##\hat{z}## always points in the +z direction. Once you know what the unit vectors are equal to, you're supposed to express the vectors A and B in terms of them.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    unfortunately i can't understand from that given link, kindly give an example by solving one of the equation or any of. . .

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sorry, we don't do your homework for you here. If you can't see what I tried to explain from the diagram, I suggest you consult your textbook for a more detailed explanation.

6. Jan 27, 2012 #5
    I doesn't mean that, i just want to say that, if you please tell this by example by taking any random point P, if such an example is given on text book, i don't need to refer from internet

7. Jan 27, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

My point was that I would have liked to see even a minimal attempt from you to try understand what's going on instead of simply saying "I don't get it."

Say you have a vector field ##\vec{V}(\vec{r})##, and at both ##\vec{r}=(1, 0, 0)## and ##\vec{r}=(0, 1, 0)##, it points in the +x direction.

At the point (1, 0, 0), you'd say ##\vec{V}(1, 0, 0) = \hat{\rho}##. At the point (0, 1, 0), however, the basis vectors point in different directions. In this case, you'd have ##\vec{V}(0, 1, 0) = -\hat{\phi}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook