Prove Co-Primes: n, n+3 | Math Proof

• Thread starter knowLittle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, to prove that gcd(n, n+3) = 1, it is shown that if n is not divisible by 3, then n can only have a greatest common divisor of 1 with n+3, as any other common divisor would also divide 3. This is shown through the use of Euclid's Lemma, which states that if a number divides two distinct numbers and one of those numbers is relatively prime to the other, then it must also divide their difference. Therefore, the greatest common divisor of n and n+3 must be 1.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

Let ##n \in \mathbb{Z} , n \not | 3##. Prove that ##gcd( n , n +3 ) =1 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

If n is not divisible by 3, then
n = 3k+1 or n =3k+2 , ## k \in \mathbb{Z} ##

What is a feasible approach? Can I do this?
For first case,
## gcd(3k+1, 3k+4 ) = 1 \\ \exists s,t \in \mathbb{Z} \\ 1 =(3k+1)s + (3k+4)t ##

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just use the definition. Assume that there is an integer ##d## that divides both ##n## and ##n+3##, then...

micromass said:
I would just use the definition. Assume that there is an integer ##d## that divides both ##n## and ##n+3##, then...

Thanks.

You mean state Euclid's lemma?
Let ## a,b,c \in \mathbb{Z} \wedge a \not = 0 ## . If ## a|bc \wedge gcd(a,b) =1 , ##then ## a|c ##

## n | (n+3)c , c \in \mathbb{Z} \\ n| c##?

I don't see how this is applicable here. Just use the definitions.

Likes 1 person
## d| n+3 \\ d|n \\ n =dk \wedge n +3 = dp, p,k \in \mathbb{Z} \\ 3=d(p-k) ## Since p-k is an integer, d|3 ?
I don't get where is the connection of ##d## with ##n## not divisible by 3.

knowLittle said:
## d| n+3 \\ d|n \\ n =dk \wedge n +3 = dp, p,k \in \mathbb{Z} \\ 3=d(p-k) ##

Since p-k is an integer, d|3 ?
I don't get where is the connection of ##d## with ##n## not divisible by 3.

Ok, so you found that ##d## divides ##3##. Can you then list all the possible values that ##d## can be?

Since 3 is prime d can be 1 or 3.

knowLittle said:
Since 3 is prime d can be 1 or 3.

So you need to prove that ##d=3## can't happen.

micromass said:
So you need to prove that ##d=3## can't happen.
So,

## d=3 \\ n =3k \\ n+3 =3p \\ gcd(n, n+3 ) =1 \\ nh + (n+3)x =1, h,x \in \mathbb{Z} \\ 3(kh+px) =1, kh+px \in \mathbb{Z} ##

Then, 3|1; however, 1 =3y is impossible, since y must be integer.
So, necessarily d =1 only.

I still don't see the connection. Are we assuming that ## d \equiv n##?

knowLittle said:
So,

## d=3 \\ n =3k \\ n+3 =3p \\ gcd(n, n+3 ) =1 \\ nh + (n+3)x =1, h,x \in \mathbb{Z} \\ 3(kh+px) =1, kh+px \in \mathbb{Z} ##Then, 3|1; however, 1 =3y is impossible, since y must be integer.
So, necessarily d =1 only.

I still don't see the connection. Are we assuming that ## d \equiv n##?

Again, you're overthinking the problem.

If a number divides two distinct numbers, then it also divides their difference. Hence d divides 3. Since 3 is prime, that means d can be 3 or 1.

Since d divides n, and d = 3, does 3 divide n? Does that violate any of the stipulations of the question? What does that leave you with as a possible value of d?

Curious3141 said:
Again, you're overthinking the problem.

If a number divides two distinct numbers, then it also divides their difference. Hence d divides 3. Since 3 is prime, that means d can be 3 or 1.

Since d divides n, and d = 3, does 3 divide n? Does that violate any of the stipulations of the question? What does that leave you with as a possible value of d?

So, d | n
d =3

does 3 |n ?
Well, the stipulations say that ##n## is not divisible by 3. ## n\not | 3 ##
Sorry, but again I am lost.
## (n = 3k )\not = (3 \not = np), k,p \in \mathbb{Z} ##

knowLittle said:
So, d | n
d =3

does 3 |n ?
Well, the stipulations say that ##n## is not divisible by 3. ## n\not | 3 ##
Sorry, but again I am lost.
## (n = 3k )\not = (3 \not = np), k,p \in \mathbb{Z} ##

You KNOW that ##d \mid n.## (Fact 1)

You KNOW that ##d \mid 3.## (Fact 2)

You KNOW that ##3 \nmid n.## (Fact 3)

Fact 2 implies that ##d=1## (possibility 1) or ##d=3## (possibility 2) because 3 is prime.

IF possibility 2 were true, THEN by Fact 1, ##3 \mid n##. But this cannot be so because it would conflict with Fact 3. Therefore possibility 2 is rejected.

That leaves only possibility 1, i.e. ##d=1##. The only possible common divisor for ##n## and ##n+3## where ##3 \nmid n## is 1. Therefore, this is also the greatest common divisor.

By the way, you're using the non-divisibility notation wrongly. If you want to state that n is not divisible by 3, it should be ##3 \nmid n## (read as '3 does not divide n', or '3 is not a divisor of n').

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much, Curious.
BTW, that cat in your pic looks happy :>

1. What does it mean for two numbers to be co-prime?

Two numbers are considered co-prime if they do not have any common factors other than 1. This means that the greatest common divisor (GCD) of the two numbers is 1.

2. How can I prove that two numbers are co-prime?

In order to prove that two numbers, n and m, are co-prime, you can use the Euclidean algorithm to find the GCD of the two numbers. If the GCD is 1, then the numbers are co-prime.

3. What is the significance of proving that two numbers are co-prime?

Proving that two numbers are co-prime is important in number theory and cryptography. Co-prime numbers are used in encryption algorithms to ensure the security of data. Additionally, knowing that two numbers are co-prime can make certain mathematical calculations easier.

4. How can I apply the proof of co-primes to solve other mathematical problems?

The proof of co-primes can be applied to various problems in number theory, such as finding the least common multiple (LCM) of two numbers or determining whether a fraction is in its simplest form. It can also be used in cryptography to determine the security of encryption algorithms.

5. Are there any other methods to prove that two numbers are co-prime?

Yes, there are other methods to prove that two numbers are co-prime, such as using prime factorization or the Euclidean algorithm in reverse. However, the method of using the Euclidean algorithm to find the GCD is the most commonly used and efficient method.