CO2 Air Gun: Can JB Weld Withstand the Pressure?

In summary, the individual is attempting to create a CO2 air gun and is questioning whether JB Weld can withstand the pressure from a 12g CO2 cartridge in conjunction with a CO2 bike pump and a valve that can handle the pressure. They plan to use metal threaded fittings and thread tape to seal the joints. They also mention using the bike pump to regulate the pressure to stay within 100-150 psi, as CO2 can reach pressures up to 850psi.
shift55
I am trying to make a CO2 air gun and was wondering if jb weld can hold the pressure from the 12g CO2 cartridge in this set up with a CO2 bike pump connected to a valve that can wothstand the pressure
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1464048079.926180.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
shift55 said:
I am trying to make a CO2 air gun and was wondering if jb weld can hold the pressure from the 12g CO2 cartridge in this set up with a CO2 bike pump connected to a valve that can wothstand the pressureView attachment 101168
Where is the JB Weld? Use metal threaded fittings with thread tape to help seal the joints. Just like you would hook things up at the output of an air compressor...

i haven't put the jb weld on yet, i will put it on the red threads then screw it in after i know it can withstand the pressure.

This CO2 bike pump can pump out air at different rates, i want to use this for an air gun but i am a bit unsure about the amount of pressure that my parts can handles so i want to stay within 100-150 psi and CO2 is like 850psi, so if i use this bike pump and open it like a quarter turn or something, can i achieve a lower psi or will the chamber it's releasing CO2 into just fill up to 850psi more slowly
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003M2PNGY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can JB Weld really withstand the pressure of a CO2 air gun?

Yes, JB Weld has been tested and proven to withstand pressures up to 5,000 psi. However, the strength of the bond will also depend on proper application and curing time.

2. How long does it take for JB Weld to cure and reach its full strength?

The curing time for JB Weld is dependent on the temperature and humidity. In general, it takes 24 hours to cure at room temperature (72°F/22°C) and 15-24 hours at 90°F (32°C). It can take up to 4-6 hours to reach its full strength.

3. Can JB Weld be used to repair any type of CO2 air gun?

JB Weld can be used to repair most types of CO2 air guns, but it is important to check the materials of the gun and ensure they are compatible with JB Weld. It is not recommended for use on plastic or rubber parts.

4. Is there a specific method for using JB Weld on a CO2 air gun?

Yes, it is recommended to clean and roughen the surface before applying JB Weld. Mix equal parts of the two components and apply a thin layer to both surfaces. Press the surfaces together and let it cure for the recommended time.

5. Can JB Weld be used as a long-term solution for a CO2 air gun?

While JB Weld can provide a strong bond, it may not be a permanent solution for a CO2 air gun. The high pressures and vibrations from use can eventually cause the bond to weaken. It is best to use JB Weld as a temporary fix and have a professional repair or replace the gun if possible.