Solving a CO2 Air Tank Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a CO2 tank that has a weight of 22.17 oz's when full and contains 9 oz's of CO2. The main issue is determining the distance and velocity when the safety burst disk goes off at 3000 psi and the exit hole is 1.9 mm. The conversation also mentions using Boyle's law and Bernoulli's equation to find the velocity and discharge time, but the density of CO2 and exact temperature needed to reach 3000 psi are uncertain.
sroderi
ok so it has been a few years since I have worked on things like this and I am needing some help

I have a CO2 tank that weighs 22.17 oz's when full. There is 9 oz's of CO2 in the tank. The problem I am working on is that I need to find out how far the tank will go when the safety burst disk goes off as well as its velocity. The exit hole is around 1.9 mm and it goes off at 3000 psi. The volume of the tank is around 19.5865 in^3

I started off by doing (3000 psi) X (.00439 in^2) which gave me the force coming out of the jet. I then divided it by the total weight of the tank which gave me an acceleration of 9.52622 ft/s^2. I questioned this considering the pressure, acceleration, and weight will be decreasing and changing I just didn’t know how to do it the right way.

I then started working on trying to find out how long it would take to empty the tank. I used Boyle law (P1V1=P2V2) = (2982.3*19.865in^3) = (14.7*(X)) When I found X I was going to divide it by the flow rate to give me the time it takes to empty.

Well flow rate is Velocity X Area so I am having problems finding the velocity of the CO2 leaving the tank. I tried messing with Bernoulli’s equation but had a hard time with the density of the CO2 which I was assuming a temperature of 20 C anything around that will work.

Once I find that velocity of the CO2 I can find the discharge time. I think I can put it in the equation (D=.5a(t)^2) to get distance

I may be way off it has been a long time since I worked on this stuff so if anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Where does the 3000 psi come from? I attach a CO2 vapor pressure curve. It is about 40,000 mmHg at room temperature, equivalent to to 53 atm, or 775 psi. It is about 73 atm at 31 deg C, when it becomes a supercritical fluid. See thumbnail.

Attachments

• CO2_­Vapor_pressure.jpg
    CO2_­Vapor_pressure.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
yes CO2 usually stays around 800 psi but we had a problem with the tank heating up and blowing the 3000 psi safety disk. the tank is rated at 5000 psi so that is why there is a 3000 psi safety burst disk. I am unsure what the temperature needs to get to to reach 3000 psi though.

What is a CO2 air tank problem?

A CO2 air tank problem refers to the issue of how to properly manage and regulate the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) released from a compressed air tank. This is a common concern in industries that use compressed air, such as scuba diving, paintball, and industrial manufacturing.

Why is it important to solve a CO2 air tank problem?

Solving a CO2 air tank problem is important for several reasons. First, excessive CO2 release can be harmful to the environment and contribute to climate change. Secondly, correctly managing CO2 levels ensures the safety of individuals using compressed air tanks, as high levels of CO2 can be dangerous. Finally, proper CO2 regulation can save money and resources by preventing wasted gas.

What factors contribute to a CO2 air tank problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to a CO2 air tank problem. These include inadequate storage and transportation methods, leaks in the tank or valves, and improper handling and use of the compressed air tank. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and altitude can affect CO2 levels and should be taken into consideration.

What are some methods for solving a CO2 air tank problem?

There are several methods for solving a CO2 air tank problem, including using regulators and pressure gauges to monitor and control CO2 levels, performing regular maintenance and inspections on tanks and valves, and properly storing and transporting compressed air tanks. In some cases, switching to alternative, more environmentally friendly gases may also be a solution.

How can CO2 air tank problems be prevented?

Preventing CO2 air tank problems is crucial for the safety and sustainability of industries that use compressed air. Some key prevention measures include proper training and education for individuals handling compressed air tanks, regular maintenance and inspections, and following proper storage and transportation guidelines. Additionally, investing in newer, more efficient technology and equipment can also help prevent CO2 air tank problems.