Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coal into diamond

1. Jul 14, 2009 #1
    If I have one pound of gold heated and compressed into a diamond, what will the weight of the diamond be?
    PS

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2009 #2
    Um... gold is made of.... gold. Diamond's are made of carbon... You can squeeze the gold all you want. you're not getting a diamond.

4. Jul 14, 2009 #3
    However, if you mean have 1 pound of pure carbon (like super anthracite coal or something) I don't see why you can't make 1 pound of diamond given perfect conditions.

5. Jul 14, 2009 #4
    Why would heat and compression change the mass?

6. Jul 14, 2009 #5
    Would you like to convert 1 troy pound of gold (373.24 grams) into a 1 avoirdupois pound gold diamond (453.59 grams)? If you find out how to do it, please let me know.

7. Jul 14, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you think "gold diamond" means??

8. Jul 14, 2009 #7
    I am not sure what I talk about here when I say this, but, aren't diamonds made from carbon, so how would you turn gold into a diamond?

9. Jul 14, 2009 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Alchemy of course. :rolleyes:

10. Jul 15, 2009 #9
    Sorry responders, I meant coal not gold-the laugh is on me- it must have been a long day.
    PS

11. Jul 15, 2009 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Ah.

ATW*, coal is between 65% and 90% carbon, depending on the type. So...

*(According to Wiki)

12. Jul 16, 2009 #11
    How cool would it be to be Lois Lane? Anytime she wants a diamond, she just has Superman use his super strength to squeeze a lump of coal. But is this really possible? Using a high enough temperature and enough pressure, can you turn coal into diamonds? To answer this, we have to address the nature and formation of coal and the nature and formation of diamonds.

First, though, we have to talk about the carbon atom and what makes it so special. "My carbon is too soft" "My carbon is too impure" "My carbon is just right." Brian Diskin Carbon: One Unique Atom There are over 100 different kinds of atoms in the universe, and carbon stands out as a unique atom.

13. Jul 16, 2009 #12
    These Alchemists keep getting greedier!

14. Jul 16, 2009 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook