1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson

1. Aug 18, 2003 #1
    I think it is simply the coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2003 #2
    sounds logical

4. Aug 19, 2003 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looking at it's quark content (uudds) it's obvious it has the same quark content as a neutron and a K+ indeed those are the two particles it decays into, I'm not sure how it's formed though.

5. Aug 19, 2003 #4
    I have read that it is formed when gamma rays are directed at a heavy hydrogen nuclei and what happens next is beyond me

6. Aug 19, 2003 #5
    It is merely the coalescence of the neutron and the K+ meson. I believe that is what the original article on this read awhile ago.

7. Aug 19, 2003 #6
    So if the pentaquark particle decays in to a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?

8. Aug 19, 2003 #7
    So if the pentaquark particle decays in to a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?

9. Aug 19, 2003 #8

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC it's thought to be about 10-20 which is pretty short even for an elementary particle.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook