Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson

1. Aug 18, 2003 #1
    I think it is simply the coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2003 #2
    sounds logical

4. Aug 19, 2003 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looking at it's quark content (uudds) it's obvious it has the same quark content as a neutron and a K+ indeed those are the two particles it decays into, I'm not sure how it's formed though.

5. Aug 19, 2003 #4
    I have read that it is formed when gamma rays are directed at a heavy hydrogen nuclei and what happens next is beyond me

6. Aug 19, 2003 #5
    It is merely the coalescence of the neutron and the K+ meson. I believe that is what the original article on this read awhile ago.

7. Aug 19, 2003 #6
    So if the pentaquark particle decays in to a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?

8. Aug 19, 2003 #7
    So if the pentaquark particle decays in to a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?

9. Aug 19, 2003 #8

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC it's thought to be about 10-20 which is pretty short even for an elementary particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?