Coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson

1. I think it is simply the coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. sounds logical

4. jcsd

jcsd 2,226
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looking at it's quark content (uudds) it's obvious it has the same quark content as a neutron and a K+ indeed those are the two particles it decays into, I'm not sure how it's formed though.

5. I have read that it is formed when gamma rays are directed at a heavy hydrogen nuclei and what happens next is beyond me

6. It is merely the coalescence of the neutron and the K+ meson. I believe that is what the original article on this read awhile ago.

7. So if the pentaquark particle decays in to a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?

8. So if the pentaquark particle decays in to a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?

9. jcsd

jcsd 2,226
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC it's thought to be about 10-20 which is pretty short even for an elementary particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?