Since your post has generated no replies you might want to give a little more background to your question and maybe even ask in the the material science section.
I'm guessing you are referring to the grain size when molten metal is allowed to cool. The size of the grain boundaries depends on how fast it is allowed to cool. A great material science text if you have had intro physics was written by Callister.
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving