Understanding the Coaxial Inductor: A Study of its Electric and Magnetic Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses a device called a coaxial inductor, which has a solenoid that differs from the common case. The idea is to understand how the electric field, the magnetic field, and the Poynting vector are arranged inside and outside the solenoid. The DC operation shows that the Poynting vector has more than one component, with two obvious ones. The magnetic field has a solenoidal component and a component produced by the current that passes through the section of wire located on the axis. The turns, traversed by the current, result in a tube-shaped zone where there is always electric charge present, resulting in a net electric field equal to zero inside the coaxial inductor. When
slow
I want to expose something that caused me a lot of curiosity. First of all, I beg you to point out my mistakes and, if there are any insurmountable ones, help me to understand them. I start by presenting a figure.
Inductor Coaxial.png

It is a solenoid that differs from the common case, because the wire at one end enters the interior and takes the place of the axis. I propose to denominate coaxial inductor to that device. In the graph the turns appear very separated, to be able to show the stretch of wire that occupies the axis. In practice the turns would be together, separated only by the insulating layer of the wire.

The idea is to understand how the electric field, the magnetic field and the Poynting vector are arranged inside the solenoid. The outside fields will be mentioned in the last part of the note.

DC operation shows that the Poynting vector has more than one component. The graph shows two, which are obvious. There is more ? I don't know. I will take those two into account.

The magnetic field has a solenoidal component. With turns together, the lines of this component differ little, in first approximation, from straight lines parallel to the axis. They are slightly wavy lines, which differ a bit from rectitude. In the first approach I will take them as straight lines parallel to the axis. Component ##B_1## has that address.

The current that passes through the section of wire located on the axis produces another component of the magnetic field, whose field lines are circles centered on the axis. One of them is represented as a clear ring around the axis. The component ##B_2## is tangent to one of those circles.

The turns, traversed by the current, result in a tube-shaped zone where there is always electric charge present. This load produces a net electric field equal to zero inside the coaxial inductor. This is fulfilled in first approximation, whatever the value of the load. That is why it would be fulfilled even if we connect the inductor to an AC generator.

There is also a charge present in the section of wire located on the shaft. This charge produces a non-zero net electric field, which is the only component of the electric field inside the coaxial inductor, symbolized E.

With two components of the magnetic field and one of the electric field, the Poynting vector has two components, ##S_1## and ##S_2##.

##S_1## corresponds to energy rotating around the axis. ##S_2## corresponds to energy movement in the axial direction. The resulting Poynting vector corresponds to energy that rotates around the axis while advancing in the axial direction. If we apply the mass / energy ratio, we will have a mass inside the solenoid that behaves like the bullet of a weapon, which rotates as it advances, because inside the barrel there is a helical groove.

The battery provides constant current. Although the Poynting vector has these components, the coaxial inductor can not radiate energy into the surrounding space, since constant fields do not produce electromagnetic waves. And within my experience, I never knew that a configuration of constant fields could maintain their properties while traveling through space autonomously.

What would happen if we connect the coaxial inductor to a radiofrequency generator? The field ##E## and the components of ##B## would undergo module and direction variations, but the Poynting vector would always have a rotating component and an axial component.

Where there are fields varying there is emission of electromagnetic waves. In this case we would also expect them be emitted. And if they are issued, do they exhibit some property that does not appear when we use conventional antennas?

Outside the solenoid, ##B## is not parallel to the axis, nor near to be parallel . Those lines of the magnetic field are curved and scattered throughout the surrounding space. In that region ##B## has a radial and an axial component. The electric field is radial, because the entire load is housed in a zone that has the shape of a tube.

The direction of the external axial component is opposite to the direction of ##B_1##. The external axial component and the electric field determine a component of the Poyting vector that corresponds to the rotation of the energy, in the opposite direction to the internal rotation. That's fine, because the opposite case would violate the conservation of angular momentum.

The radial field and the electric field on the outside determine an axial component of the Poynting vector, whose direction is opposite to the direction of the internal axial component. That is fine, because the opposite case would violate the conservation of the quantity of the linear moment.

This is simply an attempt at first approximation. It could contain insurmountable errors. In case of not containing them, the operation in radiofrequency has something interesting. Inside and outside the solenoid there is energy that turns and advances. But the exterior and the interior do it in opposite senses, as the action is an electrodynamic punch that divides something in two parts, opposite and complementary. Both parties need each other to fulfill the conservation, but can not remain mutually at rest. That event seems like a cylindrical tear of space, in the region where the phenomenon occurs.

Attachments

• Inductor Coaxial.png
    Inductor Coaxial.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 902
Physics news on Phys.org
slow said:
The turns, traversed by the current, result in a tube-shaped zone where there is always electric charge present.
This doesn’t seem right.

slow said:
With two components of the magnetic field and one of the electric field, the Poynting vector has two components, S1S1S_1 and S2S2S_2.
The DC case should be purely magnetic.
slow said:
That's fine, because the opposite case would violate the conservation of angular momentum.
I don’t believe this claim.

slow said:
That is fine, because the opposite case would violate the conservation of the quantity of the linear moment.
Bor this one.

Maxwell’s equations are linear, so you can simply add up the separate equations for the fields. Please look up references that do that and PM me so we can get this into a form that can be productively discussed.

Until then thread closed

1. What is a coaxial inductor?

A coaxial inductor is a type of electronic component that is used to store and manipulate electric and magnetic fields. It consists of two concentric cylindrical conductors, with the inner conductor usually being a wire or coil and the outer conductor being a tube or shell. This design allows for the efficient creation and maintenance of a magnetic field within the inductor.

2. How does a coaxial inductor work?

A coaxial inductor works by using the flow of electric current through its inner conductor to create a magnetic field. This magnetic field then interacts with the electric current to create a self-inductance effect, which is a measure of the inductor's ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field and the self-inductance effect can be controlled by changing the size and shape of the inductor.

3. What are the applications of coaxial inductors?

Coaxial inductors have a wide range of applications in electronics and technology. They are commonly used in filters, oscillators, and amplifiers to control the flow of electricity and create stable signals. They are also used in power supplies, antennas, and transmission lines to manage electric and magnetic fields. Additionally, coaxial inductors are used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in scientific research to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

4. How are electric and magnetic fields related in a coaxial inductor?

In a coaxial inductor, the electric and magnetic fields are closely intertwined. When an electric current flows through the inner conductor, it creates a magnetic field around the conductor. This magnetic field then interacts with the electric current to create a self-inductance effect, which in turn affects the flow of electric current. The two fields are constantly interacting and affecting each other, which is why coaxial inductors are used to manipulate and study these fields.

5. What are the factors that affect the electric and magnetic fields in a coaxial inductor?

The strength and behavior of the electric and magnetic fields in a coaxial inductor can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the inductor, the materials used for the inner and outer conductors, the frequency of the electric current, and the presence of other nearby electronic components. Additionally, the position and orientation of the inductor can also impact the strength and behavior of the fields. Proper understanding of these factors is crucial for designing and optimizing the performance of a coaxial inductor for a specific application.