1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

COCl2(g) -> CO(g)+Cl2(g)

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    COCl2(g) --> CO(g)+Cl2(g)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the reaction carried out at 25 degrees celsius and 1 atm: COCl2(g)-->CO(g)+Cl2(g)
    In what temperature range will the reaction become (or not become) spontaneous?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution[/b
    My hunch is that i have to use ΔG=ΔH-TΔS and set ΔG equal to zero but then i'm not sure how am i supposed to get a temperature range...help please!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Thermodynamics

Your hunch is correct. The temperature range would be bounded by ΔG=0 and also any temperature at which the components are eliminated: e.g., the boiling temperature of the gases, the dissociation temperature of CO, etc. I'm not sure any of these will be relevant, but it might explain why there's a limited temperature range.

4. May 10, 2009 #3

How do we know whether the temperature will be above or below that of the temperature that is bounded by ΔG=0?

5. May 10, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know. It's something you have to check, just as if you were designing an industrial process to run the reaction.

6. May 10, 2009 #5

I think you'll need extra information, especially the enthalpy of formation for each species, or the entropy of formation. then you can find T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook