Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coconut inside out

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    There are a lot of coconuts in my country, but I don't know how each part of it is called in English.
    A coconut has a green 'cover' then another hard 'cover' then there is coconut juice inside and the white thing.
    Can you describe me all coconut's parts ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Husk, shell, meat, milk.

The exocarp and mesocarp make up the "husk" of the coconut. Coconuts sold in the shops of nontropical countries often have had the exocarp (outermost layer) removed. The mesocarp is composed of a fiber called coir.

My daughter worked her first four years as a professional in Makawao, Maui County, Hawai'i on the slopes of Haleakala.

4. Dec 10, 2014 #3
    485317.jpg
    Thanks Doug but still one more yellowish part, especially inside old coconuts, is that the coconut's child or its big soft nut ?

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

"Newly germinated coconuts contain an edible fluff of marshmallow-like consistency called coconut sprout, produced as the endosperm nourishes the developing embryo."

I am a sustaining contributor of The Wikimedia Foundation.

6. Dec 10, 2014 #5
    I don't like it when native speakers seem to know everything about the world. Bye Doug. Good day! :D

7. Dec 10, 2014 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook