ASTM D394-47(B): Info and History

• Thread starter pikkie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code
In summary, the conversation discusses the code ASTM D394-47(B), which has been withdrawn and is not available in electronic format. It may have been superseded by another standard and can possibly be found in a Standard book from 1947-1950. The Linda Hall library may also have a copy, but they tend to discard very old publications. Withdrawn standards are available for informational purposes and can be obtained through contacting ASTM or the sponsoring committee. There may be a replacement for the abrasion resistance test standard, but further research is needed.
pikkie
Has anybody heard of this code, ASTM D394-47(B)?
I can only find ASTM D394-59(1965) and it as already withdrawn at 1969.
Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I looked through our specs catalogs and did not find any reference other than the -59. I also did a search of ASTM's website and nothing comes up there. Are you sure about the nomenclature?

pikkie said:
Has anybody heard of this code, ASTM D394-47(B)?
I can only find ASTM D394-59(1965) and it as already withdrawn at 1969.
Thank you!
Withdrawn standards would not be available in electronic format. That particular standard may have been superceded by another standard.

One would have to find one of the Standard books from 1947-1950. Standards are reviewed on a cycle of about 4 years, or if someone in the responsible committee sees a need to revise a standard.

The Linda Hall library might have a copy, but they also tend to discard very old publications. :frown:

http://www.lindahall.org
http://www.lindahall.org/services/document_delivery/

A withdrawn standard is an ASTM standard that has been discontinued by the ASTM Sponsoring Committee responsible for the standard.

A standard may be withdrawn with or without replacement.

ASTM makes withdrawn standards available for informational purposes.
One would have to contact ASTM, or better the sponsoring committee within ASTM regarding this standard or its replacement, if such a replacement exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know through IHS that I can view electronic copies of superceded and revised MIL and AS specs. I don't know if that is the same with ASTM though.

If it's the abrasion resistance test standard, isn't there a replacement of some kind or one which contains the scope of the old one as well?

1. What is ASTM D394-47(B)?

ASTM D394-47(B) is a standard test method established by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) for determining the moisture content of solid substances.

2. When was ASTM D394-47(B) first published?

ASTM D394-47(B) was first published in 1947.

3. Has ASTMD D394-47(B) been revised since its initial publication?

Yes, ASTM D394-47(B) has been revised multiple times since its initial publication in 1947 to reflect advancements in technology and testing methods.

4. How is ASTM D394-47(B) used in scientific research?

ASTM D394-47(B) is used in scientific research to accurately determine the moisture content of solid substances, which is a crucial factor in many industries such as agriculture, food production, and construction.

5. Is ASTM D394-47(B) still relevant in modern scientific research?

Yes, ASTM D394-47(B) is still relevant in modern scientific research as it provides a standardized method for moisture content testing and is recognized and used by professionals in various industries.