Cracking Passwords: Calculating Outcomes with 3 Characters

• Thread starter Raza
  • Start date
In summary, the number of possible outcomes for a password of 3 digits is 1000, and for a password of 3 characters with alphabets or numbers is (26+10)^3. The total number of possible outcomes for a password with 12 characters, alphabets and numbers is 36^12 or 62^12 depending on the case sensitivity. Different combinations of characters and length result in different outcomes, which can be calculated by multiplying the number of possible options for each position.
Raza
Hi,
I have recently cracked a password for a zip file using brute force which got me thinking. Let's say that the password is only 3 digits, how many outcome could it possibly have?
I know it's 999 but is there a equation that I can use to figure this out?
or let's say that it contains only 3 alphabets, how many outcome could it possibly have, or let's say that the password's length is three characters and it could have either alphabets or numbers, what are the possible outcome?

Please give me brief explanation and some equation.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
in general, if you have a items with b places to but them, the number of outcomes is a^b.

for 3 digits there are actually 10^3= 1000 different choices (which can easily be seen by considering it is 000=choice 1, 001 = choice 2,...999= choice 1000).

if a password is 3 characters and can have alphabets or numbers, it is (26+10)^3.

these questions become harder if you start putting restrictions on order.

For each position, you know how many possible options there are, so you just multiply out to get the total number of possible results.

Like, if you have a single number position, and you are working in base 10, then there are 10 possible results, 0-9.

If you have a 2-digit number, then each position (the 1's postion and the 10's position) has 10 possibilities, so you get a total of 10 * 10 = 100 possible results (0-99).

If you have a capital character position, A-Z, that position has 26 possible outcomes. Two capital letter positions have 26 * 26 possible outcomes, etc.

So as a final example, in California, the standard license plates are formatted like this:

<1 number> <3 chars> <3 numbers>

So the total number of possible plates in that format would be 10 * 26^3 * 10^3.

Makes sense?

EDIT -- matticus beat me to it!

Thanks, I got it.
It's simply amazing how math works.
Right now, I am cracking another zip password, which is 12 characters, alphabets and numbers, so it would be (10+26)12,right?

Raza said:
Thanks, I got it.
It's simply amazing how math works.
Right now, I am cracking another zip password, which is 12 characters, alphabets and numbers, so it would be (10+26)12,right?

So now you're asking for help hacking passwords... :rolleyes:

No, sorry, your answer is all wrong. It should be the two's-complement of that number to be correct. :bugeye:

Raza said:

36^12 if all letters are known to be lowercase (or case-insensitive); 62^12 if letters can be of any case.

1. How secure are passwords with only 3 characters?

Passwords with only 3 characters are extremely insecure. There are only 26 lowercase letters, 26 uppercase letters, and 10 digits, resulting in only 62 possible combinations. This means that it would only take a few seconds for a computer program to crack a 3-character password.

2. Can I make my 3-character password more secure by adding numbers or symbols?

While adding numbers or symbols to a password can increase its security, it will not make a 3-character password significantly more secure. The increase in possible combinations is minimal, and a computer program can still crack it quickly.

3. How long would it take to crack a 3-character password using a computer program?

It would take less than a second for a computer program to crack a 3-character password.

4. What is the recommended length for a secure password?

The recommended length for a secure password is at least 12 characters. This allows for a much larger number of possible combinations, making it more difficult for a computer program to crack.

5. Are there any other methods for creating secure passwords besides using a combination of characters?

Yes, there are other methods for creating secure passwords such as using passphrases, which are longer phrases or sentences that are easier to remember but harder to crack. Additionally, using a password manager can help generate and store complex passwords for different accounts.