Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Codominance confusion

1. Jun 25, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

I'm not entirely sure that I understand what the source means by talking about a "quantitative effect," but it's probalby not referring to the genotype or phenotype ratios in a cross. If I were to take a guess, I would say that, it's referring to the trait caused by the allele. Some traits are all or none traits (e.g. blood type) where you either have the trait or you do not. Other traits are more quantitative (say, height or in the example provided, flower color) where there are different degrees associated with the trait. Incompletely dominant alleles are quantitative in that having two copies of the allele generates a stronger phenotype than having only one copy of the allele. For example, in the flower color case, one copy of the allele gives slightly red flowers while two copies of the allele give flowers that have stronger red coloration.

4. Jun 27, 2015 #3
    I understood.Your answers are always qualitative.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook