1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coeefficient of friction :S

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    Hey, i was just wondering if anyone can explain why static friction appears to be higher then kinetic friction on a stationary object, which is on an incline?

~thx:confused:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2
    As far as i know static friction will always be larger than kinetic friction. I can't explain the precise physics behind why that is true but imagine this situation.

Imagine there is a very heavy box on the floor that you want to push. When you try to push this box it won't budge because of the (static) friction between the floor and the box. Once you apply enough force you get the box moving and if you keep it moving you would notice that the (kinetic) friction force feels much less.

I hope this is the answer you are looking for. It is logical that static friction will be more than kinetic if you think about it. I'm sure you tried to push something that wouldn't budge, but once you got it moving it was much easier to push it.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    thanx, that helped alot :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?