Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of correlation

1. Jul 31, 2005 #1
    In a sample of 21 observations obtained it was found that sales and price have an inverse relationship and coefficient of determination is 106% as much as the adjusted coefficient of determination. It is also known that the variance of sales around mean is 640. What is the coefficient of correlation?

-------------

Im not sure how all the information fits together. I know coefficient of determination is SSR/SST, but i dont have any of that information

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2005 #2
    im not really sure what variance of sales around mean, means...help?

4. Jul 31, 2005 #3
    is sum of squares total the same as the variance around the mean?

5. Jul 31, 2005 #4
    Variance is the coefficient of determination, which is the square of the coefficient of correlation. Adjusted, I think, means calculated from a linear regression with outliers eliminated. However, I may be totally wrong :redface:. In any case, http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Coefficient+of+determination might help.

6. Jul 31, 2005 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another way coef of corr between X and Y is defined is Corr(X,Y) = Cov(X,Y)/([itex]\sigma_X\sigma_Y[/itex]) where "sigma" is the standard dev. of the subscripted variable. Maybe it is this formula that the problem is asking about?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook