Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp.. need help

1. Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp.. need help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 10.0kg object slides down an inclined plane that is 10.0m in length. THe height of the incline is 6.0m and the speed of the object at the bottom is 9.0 m/s.
    What is the coefficient of friction of this incline?
    So far I found:
    Energy lost due to friction= 183.6 J
    Force of friction= 18 N

Can someone show me how to find the coefficient of friction ASAP please? This is an advance question in my class for bonus marks & I NEED those bonus marks.

2. jcsd
  3. How to find coefficient of friction of object sliding down ramp? Please Help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 10.0kg object slides down an inclined plane that is 10.0m in length. THe height of the incline is 6.0m and the speed of the object at the bottom is 9.0 m/s.
    What is the coefficient of friction of this incline?
    So far I found:
    Energy lost due to friction= 183.6 J
    Force of friction= 18 N

Can someone show me how to find the coefficient of friction ASAP please? This is an advance question in my class for bonus marks & I NEED those bonus marks.

4. Re: How to find coefficient of friction of object sliding down ramp? Please Help!!

oh yeah i also found the angle at the bottom is 36.869... degrees if that helps.

5. Re: Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp.. need help!!

oh yeah i also found the angle at the bottom is 36.869... degrees if that helps

6. Re: How to find coefficient of friction of object sliding down ramp? Please Help!!

The formula relating friction force and coefficient of friction is: f = u*Fn, where f is the friction force, u is mu(coefficient of friction), and Fn is the normal force.

7. Re: How to find coefficient of friction of object sliding down ramp? Please Help!!

how do I find the normal force?
    I just started physics 30 & totally forget everything... :(

8. PhanthomJay

PhanthomJay 6,228
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp.. need help!!

You have the friction force, so now what formula relates the friction force with the coeff. of friction??

9. Re: Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp.. need help!!

u= F/ Fn but i don't know what my Fn is?

10. Re: Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp.. need help!!

okay i did tried this:

Fn= (10.0kg)(cos(36.869...degrees))(9.81)
    = 78.48...N

u=F/Fn
    =0.22935...

is this correct?

11. Re: How to find coefficient of friction of object sliding down ramp? Please Help!!

the normal force is the force the object exerts on whatever surface it rests. In other words, its mass(i.e. m*g)

12. PhanthomJay

PhanthomJay 6,228
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, Fn is the normal force acting on the object perpendicular to the incline. Call that direction the 'y' axis, and the direction along the incline will be the 'x' axis. In the y direction, there is no acceleration, so Newton's first law applies. Identify all the forces or force components in the y direction (what are they?) and set their sum equal to 0 to solve for Fn .

13. Re: How to find coefficient of friction of object sliding down ramp? Please Help!!

okay i did tried this:

Fn= (10.0kg)(cos(36.869...degrees))(9.81)
    = 78.48...N

u=F/Fn
    =0.22935...

is this correct?

14. Re: Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp.. need help!!

I don't know the other forces, only the top mechanical energy & bottom mechanical energy

15. PhanthomJay

PhanthomJay 6,228
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You didn't need the hint, nice job! Just be sure to round off the coefficient to one (or 2 at the most) decimal places.

16. PhanthomJay

PhanthomJay 6,228
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, how did you find Fn if you didn't know the other force acting? Did you look it up somewhere?

17. Re: Coefficient of Friction of object sliding down ramp.. need help!!

i figured out the 18 N in class but I don't remember how but thanks a bunch for the help, even though u say I didn't need the hint, your hint made me think & brought back everything! =)

18. Re: How to find coefficient of friction of object sliding down ramp? Please Help!!

Yes, that's correct.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?