Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Friction?

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    I've searched for this on google, but haven't found anything; does anyone know where to find the coefficient of friction between paper and plexiglass?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2
    If you can't find it, you can test it yourself. There are probably many different methods of doing so, you can probably find some online. The easiest would require a spring scale but if you don't have one you can find another method.
  4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    I don't have a spring scale, but do you have a suggestion on where to look for an alternate method? Thanks.
  5. Oct 25, 2007 #4
    Put it on an incline and tilt it till it slides, but I suspect you're gonna have a whole bunch of electrostatic stickiness.
  6. Oct 25, 2007 #5

that's a really good idea. at least to get the coefficient of static friction.

i would suggest trying it with a few different weights on top of the paper, but if the coefficient of static friction remains constant, the angle of tilt (when sliding begins) should be the same, no matter what the weight is. the coefficient of static friction is a function of the angle of tilt.
  7. Oct 25, 2007 #6
    Thanks a lot guys. I did it by using the incline idea.
  8. Oct 26, 2007 #7
    what did you get?
  9. Oct 26, 2007 #8
  10. Oct 26, 2007 #9
    May I ask how you got it to that precision with an inclined plane?
  11. Oct 26, 2007 #10

Science Advisor

No kidding, that's like 19.3349 degrees!
  12. Oct 26, 2007 #11

you just need a really good protractor. :smile:
  13. Oct 26, 2007 #12
    well, i don't want to round yet because i need that to do calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?