Coefficient of Friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of friction between paper and plexiglass. Suggestions are given to test it using an incline and measures for precision are discussed. The conversation also mentions the need for a spring scale or an alternate method.
baseballer10p
I've searched for this on google, but haven't found anything; does anyone know where to find the coefficient of friction between paper and plexiglass?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can't find it, you can test it yourself. There are probably many different methods of doing so, you can probably find some online. The easiest would require a spring scale but if you don't have one you can find another method.

I don't have a spring scale, but do you have a suggestion on where to look for an alternate method? Thanks.

Put it on an incline and tilt it till it slides, but I suspect you're going to have a whole bunch of electrostatic stickiness.

TVP45 said:
Put it on an incline and tilt it till it slides.

that's a really good idea. at least to get the coefficient of static friction.

i would suggest trying it with a few different weights on top of the paper, but if the coefficient of static friction remains constant, the angle of tilt (when sliding begins) should be the same, no matter what the weight is. the coefficient of static friction is a function of the angle of tilt.

Thanks a lot guys. I did it by using the incline idea.

what did you get?

baseballer10p said:

May I ask how you got it to that precision with an inclined plane?

TVP45 said:
May I ask how you got it to that precision with an inclined plane?

No kidding, that's like 19.3349 degrees!

stewartcs said:
No kidding, that's like 19.3349 degrees!

you just need a really good protractor. :smile:

well, i don't want to round yet because i need that to do calculations.

jeez

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It is a unitless value that ranges from 0 (no friction) to 1 (high friction).

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is crucial in engineering and design, as well as in everyday activities such as walking and driving.

How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction is typically measured using a device called a tribometer, which applies a known force to an object and measures the resulting frictional force. It can also be calculated using mathematical models and experiments.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be influenced by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, the presence of lubricants, and the applied force between the surfaces.

Can the coefficient of friction be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be altered by changing the factors that affect it, such as using different materials, applying lubricants, or adjusting the force between the surfaces. It can also be affected by external conditions, such as temperature and humidity.