Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Friction

1. Oct 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

if i am missing something that prevents you from answering and let me know ill try and add it

A block pulls another block across a wooden surface via a pulley at a constant speed. the surface is horizontal
    the mass of the block on the horizontal surface is unknown. determine kinetic co efficient of friction.

friction was determined to be 1.03N

Ff=F2g<-- force of masses pulling down on string (since its constant f2g or the fa must equal friction in order to get a net force of zero)

coefficient is equal to mass2/mass1

i have this equation of

1.03N=m2/m1(m1g)

m2 is equal to 0.1051kg

when i try to solve for m1 i get a value of one, we measured the mass with a scale and it is around .3160kg, what am i doing wrong.

sorry if i left anything out just let me know

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i don't understand what you're doing :confused:

is this a block of mass m1 on a horizontal table attached by a rope over a frictionless pulley to a another mass m2 hanging vertically, with m2 given as 0.1051kg?

is the rope horizontal, or at an angle?

what is the 1.03N supposed to be (it's obviously not the coefficient of friction)? how did you measure it?

what does "1.03N=m2/m1(m1g)" mean?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook