1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of friction

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An object is moved with a speed of 2m/s on one side of a 1m table to the other, it stops right at the other and of the table without falling off. Does it have wheels or not?

2. Relevant equations

The teacher gave this just to me and said we havnt learnt about it yet but wanted to challenge me. I think it has something to do with the coefficient of friction and kinetic friction

3. The attempt at a solution
    i dont want to be given an answer but just the relevant equations and how to use them thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should be able to find the equation for coefficient of friction on the internet, plus approximate values for coefficient of friction for different surfaces/situations.

The equation is simple enough:

[tex]F_{fric} = \mu * F_n[/tex]
    mu is your coefficient of friction
    F_n is your normal force (in this case, the force of gravity)

If you can figure out your acceleration, then you have another way to figure out your force of friction:
    F=ma

Between those two equations, you should be able to solve for your coefficient of friction and check the internet to see if that's a reasonable value for wheels or no wheels.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook