What is the role of the coefficient of friction in solving this problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a Free Body Diagram and finding the coefficient of friction. The speaker has listed the forces involved and is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem. They mention starting by finding the Ff and then determining the horizontal force. The conversation ends with a question asking if the problem has been solved.
frownifdown
1. Here is the problem http://i.imgur.com/WH0Z4ko.png

So I've set up a Free Body Diagram and I think I have it right. I have the two Forces of Weight (8.82N and 21.27N), the force of 12.8 that is pulling the .9kg box, and then the Force Normal (just the opposites of the two Forces of Weight). I didn't really understand how the prof. was using the coefficient of friction in the problem and I'm not sure how to start with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by finding the Ff
then you can see how much force is actually being applied horizontally at any given direction

462chevelle said:
I would start by finding the Ff
then you can see how much force is actually being applied horizontally at any given direction

Thanks!

did you figure it out?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in solving this problem as it represents the amount of resistance or friction between the surfaces of the objects in contact. In this case, the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface it is resting on will determine the force required to move the box and the direction of that force. It is important to accurately calculate the coefficient of friction in order to determine the total forces acting on the box and solve the problem correctly. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can also help determine the maximum force that can be applied to move the box without causing it to slip or slide. Therefore, understanding and properly utilizing the coefficient of friction is essential in solving this problem.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measurement that describes the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the force pressing the two surfaces together.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move one surface over the other (known as the frictional force) by the normal force (the force pressing the two surfaces together). This ratio is then expressed as a decimal or percentage.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature and roughness of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

What are the different types of coefficients of friction?

The two main types of coefficients of friction are static and kinetic. Static friction refers to the resistance between two surfaces when they are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction refers to the resistance between two surfaces in motion.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it helps us understand and predict how objects will interact with each other. It is also crucial in the design of machinery and structures, as it can affect the efficiency and safety of their operation.