1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1
    I am working on a lab report in which a hockey puck is put on a ramp which is lifted until the puck slides. Displacement, acceleration and time are measured. Can someone help me with the discussion questions? I wanted to be as indepth as possible with my answers, thanks in advance.

1) Assess the assumption that acceleration was constant as the object moved down the ramp in the kinetic friction section.

2) Should mass affect the static and kinetic friction coefficients? Explain.

3) Analyze sources of error (controllable and uncontrollable) in this lab.

(A good response is Urgently Required.)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2
    1) Find the forces on the puck. Are they constant? If not, whats changing?

2) Mass doesn't affect friction coefficients, the gravity and friction both operate on mass and therefore it cancels. Heavier mass gets pulled down more by gravity, but also gets slowed down more by friction.

3) You should know htis better than I. I don't know your setup but I would imagine you used some photo sensors for timing, you could mention something about air resistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?