What Metal Is the Wire Made Of Based on Its Resistivity?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where a wire of certain length and diameter is connected to a source and the current is known. The goal is to identify the metal used in the wire by using its resistance and referring to a table of coefficients of resistivity. The individual is having trouble finding the correct area of the wire and is seeking help to solve the problem.
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

A wire, 50.0 m long and 2.00 mm in diameter is connected to a source with a potential difference of 9.11 V, and the current is found to be 23.45 A. Assume a temperature of 20°C and using Table 17.1, identify the metal out of which the wire is made of.

Homework Equations

R=p(l/A)

where R is the resistance p is the coefficient of resistivity, l is the length and A is the area

The Attempt at a Solution

ok since we are solving for p first i found R by the equation V=IR and found R to be .388
next i found the area using the surface area of a cylinder and found that to be .628
next i divided length by .628 and found that to be 79.618
so then i divided .388/79.618 and got 4.8*10^-3
thats the right magnitude but it does match any of my options coefficients.

the problem let's me choose whether the metal is gold, silver, copper, or iron.

Physics news on Phys.org
goWlfpack said:

Homework Statement

A wire, 50.0 m long and 2.00 mm in diameter is connected to a source with a potential difference of 9.11 V, and the current is found to be 23.45 A. Assume a temperature of 20°C and using Table 17.1, identify the metal out of which the wire is made of.

Homework Equations

R=p(l/A)

where R is the resistance p is the coefficient of resistivity, l is the length and A is the area

The Attempt at a Solution

ok since we are solving for p first i found R by the equation V=IR and found R to be .388
next i found the area using the surface area of a cylinder and found that to be .628

wrong area. you want the cross-sectional area of the wire

next i divided length by .628 and found that to be 79.618
so then i divided .388/79.618 and got 4.8*10^-3
thats the right magnitude but it does match any of my options coefficients.

the problem let's me choose whether the metal is gold, silver, copper, or iron.

ugh ok i got the area by .002*.002*3.14 = .00001256
then i divided 50/.00001256 and got 3980891.72
so then i divided my R .388 by 3980891.72 an got 9.74e-8
not right...

please help i really don't understand why this is still wrong...

you still have the wrong number for the area. The *diameter* is 0.002. The *radius* is 0.001.
You used Area=diameter*diameter*Pi, which is wrong.

Area=radius*radius*Pi

What is the coefficient of resistivity?

The coefficient of resistivity, also known as resistivity constant, is a measure of a material's resistance to the flow of electric current. It is denoted by the symbol ρ (rho) and is typically measured in ohm-meters (Ω⋅m).

How is the coefficient of resistivity calculated?

The coefficient of resistivity is calculated by dividing the resistance of a material by its cross-sectional area and length. The formula is ρ = R x A / L, where ρ is the resistivity, R is the resistance, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the length of the material.

What factors affect the coefficient of resistivity?

The coefficient of resistivity is affected by various factors such as temperature, material composition, and impurities. Higher temperatures can increase the resistivity of a material, while impurities can decrease it. The type of material also plays a significant role, with metals having lower resistivity than insulators.

How is the coefficient of resistivity used in practical applications?

The coefficient of resistivity is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and devices. It is also used in the construction of power lines and transmission cables, as different materials have different resistivity values that can affect the efficiency and safety of the system.

How does the coefficient of resistivity relate to conductivity?

The coefficient of resistivity is inversely proportional to the material's conductivity. This means that a material with a high resistivity will have a low conductivity and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula σ = 1/ρ, where σ is the conductivity and ρ is the resistivity.