1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of resistution

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    A smooth sphere A of mass 4m is moving on a smooth horizontal plane with speed u. It
    collides directly with a stationary smooth sphere B of mass 5m and with the same radius as A.

The coefficient of restitution between A and B is 1/2

(a) Show that after the collision the speed of B is 4 times greater than the speed of A.

Sphere B subsequently hits a smooth vertical wall at right angles. After rebounding from the
    wall, B collides with A again and as a result of this collision, B comes to rest.

Given that the coefficient of restitution between B and the wall is e,

(b) find e.

For part (b), I recieve an answer of 1/14. This is due to the fact that I have equated the coefficient of resisution of the two balls in the following way for the final collision:

0.5 = v/(u+4eu)

where v = velovity of ball A after the final collision, and u = the velocity of ball A before the collision (and hence the velocity of B is -4eu).

This results in a result of e = 1/14 after solving simultaneously with a linear expression for the conservation of momentum.

However, the markscheme has done the above as: 0.5 = (0-v)/(u+4eu) - note the presence of the negative sign. This results in a result of 0.5 for the second coefficient of resistution. Can someone please explain the logic behind this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2

The markscheme is shown above. I just wanted someone to clarify why (0-w)/((1/6)u)/)(2/3)(ue)) is used, as opposed to the same expression, but with "w" not "0-w" as the numerator.

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I didn't look at the problem in detail, but this piece seems to make sense. By definition of coefficient of restitution (e):
    V'a - V'b = e(Vb - Va)
    v - 0 = e(u - -4e'u) = 0.5(u + 4e'u)

Where I use e' for the second COR.

(Did I miss your point?)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?