How Does a Coefficient of Restitution of 1/3 Affect Post-Collision Speeds?

In summary, the coefficient of restitution for two balls colliding head on, with equal mass and a speed of 3 m/s, is 1/3. The speed of each ball after impact is 1 m/s.
arpitm08
Coefficient of Restitution? PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

Two balls of equal mass moving with the speed of 3 m/s, collide head on. Find the speed of each after impact if the coefficient of restitution is 1/3.

Homework Equations

e=(v2-v1)/(u1-u2)
v2= velocity after impact of object 2
v1= velocity after impact of object 1
u2= velocity before impact of object 2
u1= velocity before impact of object 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the numbers into the equation and it yield 0 over something.
The answer is 1 m/s for both ball, but with that into the equation, it would yield 0/0.
My book doesn't say anything on how to do this problem. Maybe it is as simple as multiplying the velocities by 1/3 to get the answer.
Could someone please help me out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
direction counts!

Since the balls approach each other, one has a velocity of +3 m/s while the other has a velocity of -3 m/s.

yes that is true, but i just copied the problem exactly from the book.

arpitm08 said:
yes that is true, but i just copied the problem exactly from the book.
There's nothing wrong with the problem statement, just with your attempted solution.
I put the numbers into the equation and it yield 0 over something.
That just means you input the wrong numbers. Realize that u and v are velocities, not just speeds.

Considering
u1 = 3 m/s
u2 = -3 m/s
e = 1/3
e = (v2-v1)/(u1-u2)
→ v2-v1 = 2 m/s
u1+u2=v1+v2
...(conservation of linear momentum)
→ v1+v2 = 0
→ v1 = -v2
Therefore, the speed of each ball after impact is 1 m/s.

What is the Coefficient of Restitution?

The Coefficient of Restitution (COR) is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the final velocity of separation to the initial velocity of approach between the objects.

How is the Coefficient of Restitution calculated?

The Coefficient of Restitution is calculated by dividing the final velocity of separation by the initial velocity of approach, both measured in the same units. This calculation can be done using the formula COR = vf/vi.

What is a "perfectly elastic" collision?

A perfectly elastic collision is one in which there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other with the same velocity they had before the collision.

What is a "perfectly inelastic" collision?

A perfectly inelastic collision is one in which the objects stick together after the collision and move with a common final velocity. In this type of collision, all of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

What factors affect the Coefficient of Restitution?

The Coefficient of Restitution is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the objects involved, the surface roughness, and the angle of collision. It can also be affected by external forces, such as air resistance or friction. In general, a higher COR indicates a more elastic collision, while a lower COR indicates a more inelastic collision.