Calculating Impact Velocity Using Coefficient of Restitution

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating impact velocity by using the height dropped, height bounced, and coefficient of restitution. The mass of the ball is also needed for this calculation, which can be represented as m. The use of constant acceleration equations can help find both the impact velocity and rebound velocity, but there is also a coefficient of restitution involved as some mechanical energy is lost during the bounce.
bionut
Hi all, I know this may see basic but how would I go about calcualting Impact velovity?

The only information I have is:
Height dropped, height bounced and from here I can calculate the CofR...

But how would I go about finding impact velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy.

YEs, I thought of that... but don't know the mass of the ball?

bionut said:
Yes, I thought of that... but don't know the mass of the ball?
Use m for the mass of the ball.

Both KE & PE are proportional to the mass, m.

Last edited:
bionut said:
Hi all, I know this may see basic but how would I go about calcualting Impact velovity?

The only information I have is:
Height dropped, height bounced and from here I can calculate the CofR...

But how would I go about finding impact velocity

I don't get the question, i think it is wrong just because there is no need for the Coefficient of Restitution to find the impact (final ) velocity .

The Equations for constant acceleration , once applied would be used to find the Impact velocity AND the rebound velocity

hms.tech said:
I don't get the question, i think it is wrong just because there is no need for the Coefficient of Restitution to find the impact (final ) velocity .

The Equations for constant acceleration , once applied would be used to find the Impact velocity AND the rebound velocity
Some mechanical energy is lost in the bounce. Thus there is a coefficient of restitution.

What is the Coefficient of Restitution?

The Coefficient of Restitution, also known as "COR", is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is a dimensionless number that ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision and 0 representing a completely inelastic collision.

How is the Coefficient of Restitution calculated?

The Coefficient of Restitution is calculated by dividing the relative velocity of the objects after the collision by the relative velocity before the collision. This can be expressed mathematically as COR = (Vf - Vi) / (Ui - Uf), where Vf and Vi are the final and initial velocities of the objects, and Ui and Uf are the initial and final velocities of the center of mass of the objects.

What factors affect the Coefficient of Restitution?

The Coefficient of Restitution is influenced by various factors such as the material properties of the objects, the angle and speed of the collision, and the surface characteristics of the objects. In general, objects with higher elasticity and smoother surfaces tend to have a higher COR.

Why is the Coefficient of Restitution important in sports?

The Coefficient of Restitution is important in sports because it affects the performance and safety of sports equipment, such as balls and racquets. A higher COR can result in a faster and more powerful rebound, while a lower COR can reduce the impact force and prevent injuries.

How is the Coefficient of Restitution used in engineering and design?

The Coefficient of Restitution is used in engineering and design to predict and analyze the behavior of objects during collisions. It is an important parameter in designing structures and systems that need to withstand impact forces, such as car bumpers and protective gear. Engineers can also use the COR to optimize the performance of products by adjusting the material properties and surface characteristics.