How Is the Coefficient of Restitution Linked to Conservation of Energy?

In summary, the Coefficient of Restitution equation is derived from the Conservation of Energy principle. It measures the efficiency of a collision by comparing the velocities before and after the collision. This equation is an engineering approximation that holds true over a range of conditions and is often used in situations involving dropped objects. However, it should be used with caution as it may not accurately represent real-world collisions.
Generally Confused
Where does the Coefficient of Restitution equation come from, in terms of the Conservation of Energy?

The measure of efficiency is the velocity after the collision divided by the velocity before the collision, but how does it get to that point? I'm trying to view this focused on an object that is dropped from a specific height.

I believe it has something to do with 1/2mv^2=mgh (kinetic energy and gravitation potential energy put into Ei=Ef+Wnc) but I'm not sure how the transformation occurs.

Let me know if I'm being too vague, as I'm not exactly sure how much information is necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
It comes from the same place that the coefficient of friction does. It is an engineering approximation that holds over a useful range of conditions.

The Coefficient of Restitution Is actually defined as such. It is actually the ratio of impact after and before collision. Since most of the times, we don't consider loss of mass of the colliding bodies we have only velocity as the parameter which will measure the impact of the collision. Hence, Coefficient of Restitution comes into scene.

jbriggs444 said:
It comes from the same place that the coefficient of friction does.
Actually, I would say that it is even more of an abstraction than the coefficient of friction. Most situations where people seem to want to use it are so far from 'ideal' that I would say its only use is for answering A level Mechanics questions. I wish that School Maths courses would introduce COR with a massive caveat from the start. It would help reduce the number of unanswerable questions on PF that we get about collisions. Steel balls and steel plates - OK. Anything else, treat it with care.

1. What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the final velocity of separation to the initial velocity of approach.

2. How is the coefficient of restitution calculated?

The coefficient of restitution is calculated by dividing the final velocity of separation by the initial velocity of approach. This can be determined by measuring the speed of the objects before and after the collision.

3. What does a high coefficient of restitution indicate?

A high coefficient of restitution indicates that the collision between two objects is highly elastic, meaning that a large amount of kinetic energy is conserved during the collision. This means that the objects bounce off each other with minimal loss of energy.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution can be affected by factors such as the material properties of the objects involved (such as their elasticity and density), the angle and speed of approach, and any external forces acting on the objects during the collision.

5. Why is the coefficient of restitution important in sports?

In sports such as basketball, tennis, and golf, the coefficient of restitution is important because it determines the bounce or rebound of the ball. A higher coefficient of restitution means that the ball will bounce back with more energy, resulting in a faster and longer bounce. This can affect the strategy and performance of players in the game.