1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Sliding Friction Lab

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    I have to do a lab this grading period, which I chose out of a hat. The lab is on the coefficient of sliding friction. I have to have an experiment, but I do not want to just have different objects slide off a ramp or anything simple like that.

Does anybody have a good experiment idea that involves sliding friction (hopefully one that relates to everyday life)? Again, I can't have anything too simple.

Thank you for any ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2
    You can somehow have 2 objects collide, calculate the kinetic energy that is lost, and find the loss in energy due to friction (of course, this will be a slightly false assumption, but i think it is ok, since most of the energy is lost due to friction). Once you have that energy, you can find the force and the coefficient of friction. Just an idea...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?