1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of static friction graph

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    hey I did this experiment where I dragged a mass by a scale until it moved to find the static friction. Then weight was added to the mass and the process reapeated.

My question when graphed and the mass or Fn on the x-axis and the applied force or Fs on the y axis should it not plot a straight line through 0,0, which owuld be the coeffiecent of static friction?? Im just wanting to know because either i messed up the graph or got messed up results during the experiment.
    thanx for your time
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it should roughly be a straight line through the origin. Can you explain why this is true ? And what property of this line gives you the coeff of static friction ?

PS : This is introductory physics. Next time, post such questions in the other section.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?