1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of static friction

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    • Warning: Posting template must be used in homework sections of Physics Forums.
    I have to make 2 ramps of 30 cm long along with 2 objects(objects need to be 8 cm long). One must be slippery so that it has a low coefficient of friction and one needs to be sticky and have the highest coeffivient of friciton possible. Bassically we place object on ramp raise it from one side so that the highest/lowest angle is achieved for the sticky/slippery objects. so, I need 1 object that will be the "stickiest", and one that needs to be most "slippery". Any help is appreciated, we are supposed to use low budge items. I tried to research for this, but i can't seem to find alot of information on low bugdet items :/
    later edit : can't use objects that will disintegraate (water/ice) and the effects must be reproducilbe, aka, over and over and over again.
    im sorry if this is a bit un professional post but I tried my best to explain it as well as I could

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you looked at http://blog.mechguru.com/machine-design/typical-coefficient-of-friction-values-for-common-materials/? [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Nov 28, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps...
    Pencil erasers glued together to make one 8cm long (super glue should work)?
    Sandpaper glued to wood block?

5. Nov 28, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Except, that's not friction. No normal force should mean no lateral force.

6. Dec 2, 2014 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps I wasn't clear. A pencil eraser or sand paper has pretty high friction when resting on most surfaces.

7. Dec 2, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, I see what you mean. If a very high friction is achieved, the object will have to be very shallow, or it will simply tip away from the slope. I guess that's why you suggest gluing erasers together to make a long one.

8. Dec 4, 2014 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The OP said they had to be 8cm long.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted