Coefficient values in functions,

In summary, the conversation discusses patterns in calculating coefficients in functions and using sets to present these patterns. The speaker is seeking a better understanding of this concept and asks for any input or resources to further research it. They also mention the use of a symbol to refer to these calculations and inquire about the specific area of math that this falls under. The expert recommends reading about elementary symmetric polynomials as they are the values being calculated in this scenario.
spatzbw
I noticed these patterns when calculating some co-efficents in functions having this pattern. I would appreciate a better understanding of it, so if you can put in any input that may help, that would be awesome. Also, I tried to explain the pattern as best as I can.

Let a set A = {a1, a2, ..., an}, where a1 < a2 < a3 < ... < an. Let A:k:n be as such; To present the idea, let n =4. so A:1:4 = a1 + a2 + a3 + a4, A:2:4 = (a1)(a2) + (a1)(a3) + (a1)(a4) + (a2)(a3) + (a2)(a4) + (a3)(a4), A:3:4 = (a1)(a2)(a3) + (a1)(a2)(a4) + (a1)(a3)(a4) + (a2)(a3)(a4) and A:4:4 = (a1)(a2)(a3)(a4). So if A = {1,2,3,4,5}, A:1:5 = 15, A:2:5 = 2+3+4+5+6+8+10+12+15+20, and so on. Keep in mind that since for example in A:3:n, (ai)(am)(an), where i,m,n are all natural numbers less than or equal to n, uses the same terms from A, we do not reuse them as (am)(ai)(ak) or any other variation of those 3 numbers. My question is, is there a symbol that refers to this, if so what is it, and what math area does this most directly fall under so I an further research it. Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org

What are coefficient values in functions?

Coefficient values in functions are the numerical factors that appear in front of variables in mathematical expressions. They represent the rate of change or the scale of the function.

How do you find the coefficient value in a function?

To find the coefficient value in a function, you can look at the term with the variable and see what number is being multiplied by it. This number is the coefficient value.

Why are coefficient values important in functions?

Coefficient values are important in functions because they help determine the shape and behavior of the function. They also help us understand the relationship between the variables in the function.

Can coefficient values be negative?

Yes, coefficient values can be negative. A negative coefficient value means that the function is decreasing as the variable increases, while a positive coefficient value means that the function is increasing as the variable increases.

Do coefficient values affect the intercepts of a function?

Yes, coefficient values can affect the intercepts of a function. A larger coefficient value will result in a steeper slope and therefore the function will intersect the x-axis at a different point. In contrast, a smaller coefficient value will result in a flatter slope and the function will intersect the x-axis at a different point.