1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficients of viscosity

1. Apr 13, 2006 #1
    In my course of Acoustics, in the chapter about fluid dynamics, we derive an expression for the stress tensor similar to this one, and then it is said:

"It is convenient, to write this expression in a slightly different form, in which eta and lambda are replaced by other constants"

The constants are similar to this.

Why the replacement? What's so convenient about it? In further expansions, it appears that the bulk viscosity disappears for incompressible fluids, but if I'm not mistaken, you don't have to rewrite the equation to accomplish this, and in fact you make things more complicated.

So why is it convenient? (I'd ask my prof but of course that would mean I'd have to wait for classes to start again - he's an engineer who doesn't care about pure physics and never answers email).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?