1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coeficcient of Friction

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I have and inclined plane at 1 degrees, and on top of it, there is an object 361grams. I gradually increase the angle of the inclined plane, and just at 20 degrees, the object starts to slide down. How do I find out the coefficient of friction?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I only know that just before it is about to slide down, mgsin20-Ffmax=0
    so do i use 19.99999 degrees to solve this equation? So i used mgsin19.999=Usmgcos19.9999

and got 1.299999N but I think its wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2
    Not necessarily when resultant force is 0, the object does not move.

For example, take the case when you are pushing an object with a force [itex]F[/itex], and there is a friction [itex]f[/itex] equal to the force you are applying, the object moves with constant speed [itex]v[/itex], but there is no acceleration. [itex]a = 0[/itex].

[itex]F[/itex]resultant[itex] = m*a[/itex], so when [itex]F[/itex]resultant[itex] = 0[/itex] then you don't have acceleration.

So basically, you don't have to make it 19.9999999, it is 20 degrees.

I have attached a jpeg with the sketched problem. Have a look at it. Good luck

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook