1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coeficients of a time independent schrodinger equation approaching a finite potential

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to find the coefficients in a Schrodinger equation approaching a finite potential.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=203385
    It is a problem similar to this, except a little easier. In my case, though, there is no V1 as shown in the picture at the thread, the potential is at x = 0 and doesn't drop back down, just continues going in the positive x direction. So at x = 0 it just goes straight up vertically, then levels off and keeps going, creating a sort of wall. (hope that is a good enough explanation)

2. Relevant equations
    Schrodingers Equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have defined the regions as:
    Region 1: V(x) = 0 for x < 0
    Region 2: V(x) = V0 for x > 0

I have used Schrodinger's Equation to get the wave function for each region:
    Region 1:
    Psi(x) = Aeik1x + Be-ik1x
    With A being the incident wave and B being the reflected wave off of the potential barrier.
    I also have K1 = (2mE/h2)1/2

Region 2:
    Psi(x) = Ceik2x
    With C being for the continuing wave, there is no reflected wave here because region 2 contains the barrier. I also think C would be considered T (transmitted).
    I also have K2 = (2m(E-V0)/h2)1/2

So I can say that A + B = C at x = 0 (I think). I can also say that their derivatives are equal at that point, so ik1A - ik2B = ik2C

I also know that 1 = P(R) + P(T)
    and R = abs(B2/A2)
    and I have written T = 1 - R

I guess I'm supposed to solve B and C in terms of A, I'm almost positive all of the information thus far is correct, unless I just typed something incorrectly.

It's something that I haven't ever seen/done before so I'm absolutely stumped... I even looked at some old physics books from the library trying to get some ideas but am lost. I'm sure it's something really simple... I just need to know where to go from this point in order to solve for A B and C.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: Coeficients of a time independent schrodinger equation approaching a finite poten

so you have 2 equations linking A,B & C due to the boundary conditions (continuous wave function & derivative)

you should be able to solve for B & C in terms of A...

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3
    Re: Coeficients of a time independent schrodinger equation approaching a finite poten

Well, it's not too bad. You can relate everything using your two equations at the boundary, and finding an expression for C/A and B/A. These expressions should end up containing k1 and k2.

You can then find a way to relate C/A and B/A to transmission and reflection coefficients.

I'm pretty sure most quantum texts discuss this - try ch. 7 of Liboff's book, or ch. 5 of Shankar's. This would be best classified as the single step potential.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook