Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Coffee Decreases Risk of Death

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...e-help-you-live-longer-we-really-want-to-know

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2
    I'm 65, and in good health, except when I have Crohn's Disease flareups. I drink at least two cups of black French roast coffee per day. I have no idea if coffee helps with general health, but I'm quite sure that it's a stimulant that will keep you awake and somewhat alert when tired. I used to drink from 10 to 12 cups of coffee, sometimes with cream and sugar, sometimes not, per day. And during that time I felt good and healthy. So, I have to conclude, from personal experience, that coffee drinking isn't important, for me anyway, one way or the other. So, when I feel like having a cup of coffee ... I do.

4. May 17, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm 27, almost 28 and if I never have a cup of coffee it will be too soon. Yuck!

5. May 17, 2012 #4
    Well, I think that's a good attitude. I don't know, but my guess would be that consuming coffee certainly isn't in any way necessary for, or inducive to, good health.

My point was that, apparently, it doesn't hurt either.

6. May 17, 2012 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like coffee, so I drink it. I'm glad to know that, at the very least, it is not harmful to anything other than my teeth. The downside is that if I go a day without drinking, I get "the headache." The flipside to that, is the remedy: 3 advil and a good long sleep. Next day, with a coffee in hand, is wonderful.

That's my only vice, so be it.

7. May 17, 2012 #6
    That's interesting. I've never experienced any such withdrawal symptoms. Sometimes I'll go days without having coffee or tea, and don't think about it. Some days I'm probably drinking more cups of the stuff than I should. Curious.

8. May 17, 2012 #7
    I'm a tea-sipping elitist myself. :wink:

9. May 17, 2012 #8
  10. May 17, 2012 #9
    Awesome. Drink my coffee black too. Gotta have a cup of Jo every morning too. My friend who is a surgeon also likes to tout coffee drinking with lower incidences of AZ. Caffeine in moderation is wonderful.

11. May 17, 2012 #10

Drakkith

Oh I'm not saying that coffee is some terrible drink that is horrible for you, I just can't stand the taste lol.

Many people experience withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, irritability, etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Addiction.2C_tolerance_and_withdrawal

12. May 17, 2012 #11

Astronuc

I've been drinking coffee since I was 12, and tea before that. I'm not about to stop. I drink about 1-2 pints/day, and sometimes more depending. I've had those nasty headaches when going a day without coffee, but more recently, it hasn't been much of a problem.

13. May 17, 2012 #12
    No it doesn't. No matter how much coffee you drink, you're still going to die.

14. May 17, 2012 #13

Astronuc

Then on the other hand, it doesn't increase the risk either. :biggrin:

15. May 17, 2012 #14
    Neither does potassium cyanide.

16. May 17, 2012 #15
    The claim is not that it eliminates the risk of death, Jimmy.

17. May 17, 2012 #16
    True. The claim is that it decreases the risk of death. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't.

18. May 17, 2012 #17

Drakkith

I think we can all agree that it's supposed to be the risk of earlier death, not the risk of death.

19. May 17, 2012 #18
    What? You're picking on the fact the thread title abbreviates the full claim?

20. May 17, 2012 #19
    Herein lies the flaw in the study.

21. May 17, 2012 #20
    Go ahead and analyze it, then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook