Coffee Filter Lab: Finding n for the Drag Force

In summary: M) = log(a) + n log(Vt)Thus if you plot log(M) vs. log(Vt) you should get a straight line of slope n. This is called a semi-log plot, and is used when one of the variables in the equation varies exponentially with the other. This is the case in your equation (the left hand side has a larger exponent than the right hand side).
keicee
If an object of mass M falls under the influence of gravity and a drag force Fdrag, we may write Newton’s Second Law as
Ma = Mg - Fdrag
Where a is the acceleration of the object and Mg is the weight of the object. The drag force has the general form:
Fdrag = bv^n

Where the drag coefficient b is a constant that depends on the shape of the object, and v is the velocity of the object. As an object falls from rest the velocity increases until the drag force and the weight are equal in magnitude. The acceleration then becomes zero and we have the following relation:
Mg = b(Vt)^n

In this lab, the mass ( M) will be comprised of coffee filters. We can then express the total mass in terms of the number of filters (N) and the mass of one filter (m):
M=N(m)
Now we can express a relationship between the number of filters and the terminal velocity.
N(m)g = b (Vt)^n or
N α (Vt)^n

Our goal in this lab is to find n for the drag force.

I need help with my lab report. I need to linearize this equation and i don't know how to do it

Physics news on Phys.org
keicee said:
If an object of mass M falls under the influence of gravity and a drag force Fdrag, we may write Newton’s Second Law as
Ma = Mg - Fdrag
Where a is the acceleration of the object and Mg is the weight of the object. The drag force has the general form:
Fdrag = bv^n

Where the drag coefficient b is a constant that depends on the shape of the object, and v is the velocity of the object. As an object falls from rest the velocity increases until the drag force and the weight are equal in magnitude. The acceleration then becomes zero and we have the following relation:
Mg = b(Vt)^n

In this lab, the mass ( M) will be comprised of coffee filters. We can then express the total mass in terms of the number of filters (N) and the mass of one filter (m):
M=N(m)
Now we can express a relationship between the number of filters and the terminal velocity.
N(m)g = b (Vt)^n or
N α (Vt)^n

I need help with my lab report. I need to linearize this equation and i don't know how to do it

Welcome to the PF.

Why do you think you need to "linearize" that equation?

to determine the value of n

keicee said:
to determine the value of n

What does the variable "t" represent? It doesn't seem like time enters into this problem...

Vt stands for terminal velocity

keicee said:
N(m)g = b (Vt)^n or
N α (Vt)^n
Should that read N = α (Vt)^n?
I need to linearize this equation and i don't know how to do it
As in, plot log(N) against Vt?

keicee said:

One thing you already know is

[...] until the drag force and the weight are equal in magnitude.

I think you need to redo your equation from

Nmg = N α (Vt)n

to

Nmg = α (Vt)n.​

There is no need for that extra N on the right hand side of the equation. There is a single drag force involved (which is a function of the object's velocity). It is not separate drag forces being added together. So there is no need for that extra N. (I'm also assuming that the are different Vt values depending on the value of N; so Vt is a function of N.)

I assume that you have measured different Vt values for different N. Is that correct?

If so, you have two unknowns. Those unknowns are α and n. If you've taken at least two measurements, you can solve for the two unknowns. (Don't use linear algebra to solve for the two unknowns since the equations are not necessarily linear. But might be able to use substitution or some other method. [Graphing maybe, as haruspex suggested?])

You can linearize your equation: Mg = b(Vt)^n
by taking the logarithm both sides, maybe change it first to

M = b/g (Vt)^n
or
M = a (Vt)^n where a = b/g

1. What is the purpose of the "Coffee Filter Lab: Finding n for the Drag Force"?

The purpose of this lab is to determine the value of the drag coefficient (n) for a coffee filter by conducting experiments and analyzing the results.

2. How is the value of n calculated in this lab?

The value of n is calculated by using the equation Fd = nrv2, where Fd is the drag force, r is the radius of the coffee filter, and v is the velocity of the coffee filter.

3. What are the materials needed for this lab?

The materials needed for this lab include a coffee filter, stopwatch, ruler, string, weights, and a container of water.

4. How is the experiment conducted?

The experiment is conducted by attaching a weight to the coffee filter, submerging it in water, and then releasing it from a certain height. The time it takes for the coffee filter to reach the bottom of the container is recorded, and this process is repeated with different weights and heights.

5. Why is the "Coffee Filter Lab" important for understanding drag force?

This lab is important because it allows us to determine the value of n, which is a crucial parameter in understanding drag force. It also helps us to understand the concept of terminal velocity and the factors that affect it, such as the properties of the object and the fluid it is moving through.