Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coffee hates me

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1
    I have never heard of this happening to anyone before but everytime i drink coffee lately i have been getting extremely sick. WHAT KIND OF SICK JOKE IS THIS!!!! I love coffee and now I can't drink it.....evilness! :grumpy This is going to put me in a bad mood for awhile....good thing i like tea....so far I can still drink that.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2
    Coffee is nasty. Soda is much tastier. Crush a mountian dew.

4. Apr 4, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Blah, you'll live. Simply switch to tea.

5. Apr 4, 2007 #4
    Now thats whats good. Chi.

6. Apr 4, 2007 #5
    I agree with that wholeheartedly, I can not stand coffee at all.

7. Apr 4, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

I disagree with you both. Soda is for *******. :tongue:

8. Apr 4, 2007 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Do you make your own coffee? I notice that I do not feel well when ever I try decaffeinated. It makes me sick to my stomach. I'd say that the first thing to do would be to try a different brand of coffee or a different coffee house.

9. Apr 4, 2007 #8
    black coffee for life,its my mojo.

10. Apr 4, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try a different blend. Some make me awfully ill even though i like them but others are fine. Failing that tea is just as good. Earl Grey anyone?

11. Apr 4, 2007 #10

turbo

Gold Member

What have you been drinking? Are you drinking brewed coffee or (Gah!) instant, decaffeinated or flavored stuff? Probably the plainer the coffee, the better.

I have a big mug of black unsweetened espresso every morning, made with standard grind Chock Full o' Nuts in my own little espresso maker. I would be lost without my morning coffee!

12. Apr 4, 2007 #11
    i used to drink earl grey now it's jasmine and celestial seasonings. arizona iced tea is great in the summertime.

you get the good jasmine tea from the chinese markets not the supermarket. another crisp drink is coconut juice (not goya) the thailand generic tallboys. :wink: as part of my diet plan i'll be downing enfamil :tongue2: can only get that kind of juice from one of two places :biggrin:

btw, drinking large amounts of coffee with give you acid reflux. those people who down massive amounts of coffee everyday with have buy nexuim when their esophagus starts burning!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  13. Apr 4, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I think the blends make a difference, but sometimes if you just overdo it, that will happen. Do you drink it with milk? You could try adding more milk (or conversely, try it without the milk to see if it's the coffee or the milk causing the problem). I couldn't live without coffee in the morning.

And, Cyrus, are you nuts?! Mountain Dew?! :yuck: Ugh, talk about stuff that will make you sick! :yuck: :tongue:

14. Apr 4, 2007 #13
    Switch to tea...it's healthier, and tastier.

15. Apr 4, 2007 #14
    First time it happened I thought it was a coincidence, that time I had brewed my own. Second time I went somewhere and got some, happened again. Third time I tried another place and it happened again! So it doesn't seem to be the brand. I never drink that nasty instant stuff, and I only ever put a little bit of milk and sugar in it, but if I drink it black it happens to. Guess I just have to switch to tea, which is fine I like tea.......but I really liked coffee :( I won't switch to pop though, it's just to sweet for me, I don't really like it that much.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  16. Apr 4, 2007 #15

turbo

Gold Member

That's too bad! Life would look bleak without my morning espresso. I love black tea, but if I drink that on an empty stomach, it screws me up (may be the tannin), but I have my espresso black and unsweetened every morning before breakfast - no problem.

If you really don't want to give up coffee, you might want to try taking an antacid (Titralac, Tums, etc) before you drink coffee to see if it's the acid in the coffee that's bothering you. If you think that the caffeine might be bothering you, you might want to try taking one No-Doz pill. It will give you about a cup of coffee's worth of caffeine without anything else to contribute to the effect. Good luck.

17. Apr 4, 2007 #16

Explain how you feel sick. Are you nauseated to the point of throwing up or does your stomach hurt/burn or are you light headed and heart racing....etc...?

18. Apr 4, 2007 #17
    It made me really nauseated, almost like I had the flu or something. Getting through the rest of the day was hell. My stomach didn't hurt or burn or anything like that.

19. Apr 5, 2007 #18
    Did you drink just one cup or several? Does decaffeinated do the same thing?

20. Apr 5, 2007 #19

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This coffee sick thing happened to me too, but I think it has to do with the coffee maker we were using. Two weeks ago I went out and got coffee somewhere else. I was fine. But I still can't drink coffee out of that machine without getting sick for some reason, even after I cleaned it. I don't know what could be wrong with it.

21. Apr 5, 2007 #20
    I only ever drink one cup at a time. I've never tried decaffeinated coffee so I have no idea whether it does the same thing or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?