Votes: 10 71.4%
  • will decrease concentration

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
Tsu
Gold Member
Originally posted by Monique
lol, well, I don't think I have any pictures available at the moment :P
OK. So what I'm picturing is a platform up on, basically, stilts! Maybe a little ladder to climb up and a small sitting/desk or storage underneath. Am I close?

Some lady named: Judith van Bilderbeek, who knows, maybe the next Van Gogh :D
Funny you said that. I was thinking it looked a bit Van Gogh-ish.

Very sharp, actually it can mean both. Actually, it means pop (or soda) too: frisdrank = freshdrink
Interesting. Spanish is a latin-based language. I thought Dutch was more germanic or slavic in origin. Help me here! Teach me Dutch!

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Tsunami
OK. So what I'm picturing is a platform up on, basically, stilts! Maybe a little ladder to climb up and a small sitting/desk or storage underneath. Am I close?
No, it is hanging on the wall, literally. It amazes me even that it hasn't come down yet :P

Basically there is a wooden beam attached to the wall, along the lenght where one side supports on. There is a large closet to the foot end, which it supports on, and on the head end.. I am not sure.. there are some water pipes running between it.. I guess there must be some kind of attachement to that wall too, although I can't see it [:P]

If I were 2 inches smaller I could stand up underneath it There is a cupboard, a bookshelf, a open metal construction with lots of stuff on it underneath it, and a large inflatable couch.

Interesting. Spanish is a latin-based language. I thought Dutch was more germanic or slavic in origin. Help me here! Teach me Dutch! [/B]
Well, germanic languages have a large latin influence too. You want to learn Dutch?? You can start by practicing the sentence: "Ik hou van jou" together with Ivan :wink:

Tsu
Gold Member
No, it is hanging on the wall, literally. It amazes me even that it hasn't come down yet :P

Basically there is a wooden beam attached to the wall, along the lenght where one side supports on. There is a large closet to the foot end, which it supports on, and on the head end.. I am not sure.. there are some water pipes running between it.. I guess there must be some kind of attachement to that wall too, although I can't see it [:P]

If I were 2 inches smaller I could stand up underneath it There is a cupboard, a bookshelf, a open metal construction with lots of stuff on it underneath it, and a large inflatable couch.
Cool! How old is your building? Ivan's cousin in Utrecht had a 3-story row house (garage at street level, LR, DR, & Kitchen on the second level and 2 BR's and a bath on the third level) close to the town center. Walk to many GOOD restaurants. YUM. Do you live close to center of Amsterdam? (Even BETTER restaurants! YUM!!!)

Well, germanic languages have a large latin influence too. You want to learn Dutch?? You can start by practicing the sentence: "Ik hou van jou" together with Ivan :wink:
I'll have to research that. The german I learned from my grandmother and all I heard Ivan speak as he took it in college had an occasional similarity with spanish, but I always thought that they had totally different influences.
I was taught by a friend at an early age as I learned street spanish to NEVER SAY ANYTHING IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE THAT YOU ARE NOT ABSOLUTELY SURE OF WHAT IT MEANS!!!! YOU COULD LOOSE SOME TEETH THAT WAY!!! So, do you have a good Dutch/English translation web site where I can look that up before I possibly get myself in trouble? :wink:

There is an older expression in English that say's "I feel Ducky", as for the bed, well, the woman admits to being 1.5 meters below sea level, probably just floating.....

EDIT P.S. I voted for will increase alertness, as it does that in me, used it for years as I drove a Highway snowplow, sometimes 36 hrs straight, needed to to stay awake/alert/conscious etc.....

Last edited:
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
There is an older expression in English that say's "I feel Ducky", as for the bed, well, the woman admits to being 1.5 meters below sea level, probably just floating.....
Well, I am on the second floor AND my bed is up the ceiling, so I guess I am safe.. (remember in the 60s or so a large part of the Netherlands flooded at night and many people drowned in their sleep?)

http://www.foreignword.com is what I always use, it is a meta dictionary and also supports sentence translations.. don't worry though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I am on the second floor AND my bed is up the ceiling, so I guess I am safe.. (remember in the 60s or so a large part of the Netherlands flooded at night and many people drowned in their sleep?)
http://www.foreignword.com is what I always use, it is a meta dictionary and also supports sentence translations.. don't worry though :)
Saw that one on Dicovery Channel last week (watched TV at a friends house) on one of there mega project shows, talking about the 'New' system that was installed to prevent flooding, they mentioned the history, sad really... :frown:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Forget foreignword!!!! I just tried out a sentence and it gave the WORST dutch-english translation EVER! (it is good for other purposes though, word translation for instance).

If you are really interested, go to Wordlingo.com http://www.worldlingo.com/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html they did a fine job

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Saw that one on Dicovery Channel last week (watched TV at a friends house) on one of there mega project shows, talking about the 'New' system that was installed to prevent flooding, they mentioned the history, sad really... :frown:
Yeah, sad, there is part of the Netherlands which is now marshland, I recently found out that was the place of a city which got flooded and they never drained the water from it, it is a natural reserve now.

Yeah, sad, there is part of the Netherlands which is now marshland, I recently found out that was the place of a city which got flooded and they never drained the water from it, it is a natural reserve now.
YIKES you using somekind of "quick quote system", that was a really fast responce....WOW

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Didn't Discovery channel tell you that human/silico connections are no longer things of the future? could also be the coffee that is making me hyper

OH! MY! GOD! you've figured me out have you, not for long... *connecting to server....*

Tsu
Gold Member
Forget foreignword!!!! I just tried out a sentence and it gave the WORST dutch-english translation EVER! (it is good for other purposes though, word translation for instance).

If you are really interested, go to Wordlingo.com http://www.worldlingo.com/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html they did a fine job
Wordlingo definately worked better than foreignword, but I still can't get a proper English xlation for the word 'hou'. HELP? Also, where might I find help with correct pronunciation?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Tsunami
Wordlingo definately worked better than foreignword, but I still can't get a proper English xlation for the word 'hou'. HELP? Also, where might I find help with correct pronunciation?
Come to think of it, that IS a strange word I have no clue of the origin, but it translates into 'like'. If you say: 'ik hou van jou', it means 'I love you'

Hou can also be used for food, to inquire if someone likes to eat a particular food in general or certain activities. Basically you are asking someone about their rooted emotions, so to speak, not transient things.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ah! I thought of a translation!

it translates into being FOND of something

no help on the pronounciation, besides coming over for a visit :wink:

Tsu
Gold Member
Come to think of it, that IS a strange word I have no clue of the origin, but it translates into 'like'. If you say: 'ik hou van jou', it means 'I love you'

Hou can also be used for food, to inquire if someone likes to eat a particular food in general or certain activities. Basically you are asking someone about their rooted emotions, so to speak, not transient things.
That's what I was thinking it might mean. :wink:

Tsu
Gold Member
... besides coming over for a visit :wink:
Working on that.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
besides coming over for a visit :wink:
\

Now you went and did it. Only a few hours after your post, Tsunami looked at me and said: "Gee honey, wouldn't you like to go to Amsterdam again soon?" , , !!!

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And she is right, isn't she?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Experience teaches me that if Tsumani wants to go, she'll go with or without me. I can also see that I don't dare let her go alone...not with your influence around.

So we will be staying at your place for a few weeks; Okay?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
So we will be staying at your place for a few weeks; Okay?
I wish I had my own place..

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wish I had my own place..
:frown:

Eventually...

Of course I was just kidding. Tsunami gets pretty wild at times. I don't mind paying for hotel room furniture and such, but personal items are sometimes difficult to replace.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tsunami gets pretty wild at times. I don't mind paying for hotel room furniture and such, but personal items are sometimes difficult to replace.
lol, wait until she reads this.. YOUR personal belongings are safely bolted down, right?

Tsu
Gold Member
:frown:

Eventually...

Of course I was just kidding. Tsunami gets pretty wild at times. I don't mind paying for hotel room furniture and such, but personal items are sometimes difficult to replace.