1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cognitive Science

1. Mar 7, 2003 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since encountering the likes of Psychodelirium and DT Strain at PF, I have been itching to learn more about how the brain works. Here are some lecture notes for a first course in cognitive science.

Let's discuss.

http://www.informatics.ed.ac.uk/teaching/modules/ics/lnotes.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2003 #2
    I too am very interested in this subject Tom. I read over a few of the lecture notes, and when I have a little more time I'll post a few things myself.

4. Mar 17, 2003 #3
    interest in cognitive science? finnaly i can be of use.
    i'm at work right now, writing a paper on mathematical cognition, but when i get some free time i'll find some interesting articles.

I've got plenty of acticles on all sorts of things.

5. Mar 18, 2003 #4
  6. Mar 18, 2003 #5
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2003
  7. Mar 22, 2003 #6
    I suggest anyone who's interested in cognitive science read Marvin Minsky's, The Society of Mind. It's an easy read because it's written as two hundred, one-page essays on different aspects of cognitive science that provide a good introduction to the subject and when put together present Minsky's own ideas.

BTW, here's a link to various philosophy radio programs (interviews and such), some of which are Philosophy of Mind programs:

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/philosophyradio/

8. Mar 22, 2003 #7
    Um, I could be of fair use. But, is it just me or did the notes not work? I had several blank pages come up, and of all things, quotation marks everywhere. (i guess its my bad luck, that I usually have with computers)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?