Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cognitive Science

1. Mar 7, 2003 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since encountering the likes of Psychodelirium and DT Strain at PF, I have been itching to learn more about how the brain works. Here are some lecture notes for a first course in cognitive science.

Let's discuss.

http://www.informatics.ed.ac.uk/teaching/modules/ics/lnotes.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2003 #2
    I too am very interested in this subject Tom. I read over a few of the lecture notes, and when I have a little more time I'll post a few things myself.

4. Mar 17, 2003 #3
    interest in cognitive science? finnaly i can be of use.
    i'm at work right now, writing a paper on mathematical cognition, but when i get some free time i'll find some interesting articles.

I've got plenty of acticles on all sorts of things.

5. Mar 18, 2003 #4
  6. Mar 18, 2003 #5
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2003
  7. Mar 22, 2003 #6
    I suggest anyone who's interested in cognitive science read Marvin Minsky's, The Society of Mind. It's an easy read because it's written as two hundred, one-page essays on different aspects of cognitive science that provide a good introduction to the subject and when put together present Minsky's own ideas.

BTW, here's a link to various philosophy radio programs (interviews and such), some of which are Philosophy of Mind programs:

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/philosophyradio/

8. Mar 22, 2003 #7
    Um, I could be of fair use. But, is it just me or did the notes not work? I had several blank pages come up, and of all things, quotation marks everywhere. (i guess its my bad luck, that I usually have with computers)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?