Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coherence distance in lasers

1. Aug 7, 2011 #1
    Hi people :)
    I want to build an interferometer.
    In the course of looking for a suitable light source for my instrument I have been advised to check the 'coherence distance' of the sources; it is clear to me that this distance places practical limits on the design of the machine. However 'coherence distance' is not mentioned on the company data sheets for the devices I have been looking at.
    I need to find a light source that I can afford, with as short a wavelngth as possible and a coherence distance of at least 5mm. Can anyone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

what kind of budget do you have? how much $ do you have to spend on this ?

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your question Ranger Mike :)
    I have very little money, being a pensioner.
    The design I'm using is one I cooked up for myself in the olden days (ended last week) when I believed that lasers just continuously lased, and did not continually restart as seems to be the case.

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4
    The original interferometers we used in school, used a white light source, and with a smooth hand you could find the "white light fringes". Coherence length is inversely proportional to the bandwidth. I think even a laser diode would have a decent enough coherence to show and measure fringes. Almost any gas laser will work also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook