Coherent Light Waves: Interference & Diffraction Explained

In summary, coherence refers to the alignment of photons with the same wavelength and how it affects interference effects. A coherent light source, such as a laser, makes interference effects more visible, but they can also be seen with ordinary light sources. There are two types of coherence, spatial and temporal, which relate to the size of the source and the spectral bandwidth. Mach-Zender and Young-type interferometers utilize these types of coherence, respectively. Coherence is a statistical concept that predicts the future value of the light field based on its current value.
GrizzlyBat
So is this the ability for light waves to add up and subtract interms of interference? But I am confused as to what a non-coherent light sorce would be. I mean is it when the light waves are not organised enough? So there is no effect of interference through diffraction? or is it that there is interference, but we see the averaged effect and it is not that great?

Science news on Phys.org
Coherence simply means that photons with the same wavelength are in phase, as it were. And yes, interference effects are easier to see with a coherent light source, such as a laser. Nevertheless, interference effects can be seen with ordinary light sources--the colors one sees on the surface of a soap bubble or an oil slick, for example, are caused by destructive interference.

Yeah, that makes sense. So if I was to use a non-coherent light source, and did youngs-slit experiment, I should see diffraction? or do I have to use something like a lazer? I would think that I could use either but the laser would be more effective. Because more waves would be in phase to start with.

There are two main 'flavors' of coherence: spatial and temporal. Temporal coherence relates to the spectral bandwidth, while spatial relates to the size of the source.

Mach-Zender type interferometers work via temporal coherence, while Young-type interferometers work via spatial coherence.

Coherence, as a concept, is a statistical statement- if you know what the value of the field is here and now, how well can your predict the value over there at some future time?

1. What is the definition of coherent light waves?

Coherent light waves are waves that have a constant phase difference and maintain a fixed relationship to one another. This means that the peaks and troughs of the waves are aligned and they have a consistent wavelength and frequency.

2. How do coherent light waves interfere with each other?

When two coherent light waves meet, they can either constructively or destructively interfere with each other. Constructive interference occurs when the peaks of the waves align, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when the peaks of one wave align with the troughs of the other wave, resulting in a cancellation of the waves.

3. What is the difference between interference and diffraction?

Interference occurs when two or more waves interact with each other, while diffraction refers to the bending of waves around obstacles or through small openings. Diffraction can also occur when waves pass through a medium with varying density, causing them to change direction.

4. How does the double-slit experiment demonstrate interference and diffraction?

In the double-slit experiment, a coherent light source is shone through two parallel slits, creating two separate wave sources. These waves then interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark bands on a screen behind the slits. This pattern is caused by the constructive and destructive interference of the waves. Additionally, the edges of the slits cause the light to diffract, creating a diffraction pattern within the interference pattern.

5. What are some real-world applications of interference and diffraction of coherent light waves?

Interference and diffraction of coherent light waves have many practical applications, including in technologies such as holography, fiber optics, and optical tweezers. They are also used in the study of crystal structures, as well as in medical imaging techniques such as X-ray diffraction. In daily life, diffraction can be seen in the colorful patterns on CDs and DVDs, while interference is used in the creation of anti-reflective coatings for eyeglasses and camera lenses.