Fermions and Coherent States: What's the Connection?

In summary: They are rather elements of the so called Fock-Bargmann space. In summary, coherent states are minimal uncertainty states that provide a connection between quantum and classical physics. However, fermions cannot have coherent states due to the univalence superselection rule. This is because the position and momentum operators for fermions are diagonal in particle number, making it impossible to have many particles in the same state. This does not hinder the connection with classical physics, as coherent states for fermions can be constructed as wave packets with sharp particle numbers. Additionally, there exists a definition for classical coherent states for fermions, but they cannot be prepared as actual states. Generalized coherent states can also be constructed group-theoretically and this concept is applicable to a
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I know coherent states are minimal uncertainty states and can provide a link from quantum to classical physics.But when I hear fermions can't have coherent states,or at least are limited in this sense,I can't see any relationship!
What's the point?

And...another thing...is there sth called Classical Coherent State?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Due to the univalence superselection rule, superpositions of states with different numbers of fermions don't exist, hence there are also no fermion coherent states made up from states with different numbers of particles.
But for a connection with classical physics this isn't important:For photons, position and momentum operators are non-diagonal in particle number while for fermions, position and momentum are diagonal in particle number.
Hence the coherent states relevant for fermions for discussing the classical limit are wave packets with sharp particle numbers.

Coherent states contain many particles in the same state, which is impossible for fermions.

Demystifier said:
Coherent states contain many particles in the same state, which is impossible for fermions.

That depends. You can also construct coherent states for e.g. a harmonic oscillator.

There indeed exists a definition for coherent states for fermions which is quite important for the path-integral formulation of (non-relativistic as well as relativistic) quantum field theory. The complication noted by Demystifier needs to be overcome by introducing Grassmann valued c-number fields. See, e.g., my QFT manuscript (Section 4.5):

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

DrDu said:
Due to the univalence superselection rule, superpositions of states with different numbers of fermions don't exist, hence there are also no fermion coherent states made up from states with different numbers of particles.
But for a connection with classical physics this isn't important:For photons, position and momentum operators are non-diagonal in particle number while for fermions, position and momentum are diagonal in particle number.
Hence the coherent states relevant for fermions for discussing the classical limit are wave packets with sharp particle numbers.

In (http://dirac.fciencias.unam.mx/papers/limitations.pdf) Univalence superselection rule,is said to be because of the different behavior of bosons and fermions under a [itex] 2 \pi [/itex] rotation.Considering that line of thought,I can only accept that it is not possible to superimpose a state with even number of fermions with a state with odd number of fermions!But its OK to superimpose states which their number of fermions are of the same parity!
Also,in a one particle problem,the issues you mentioned can't arise!
As I said,What about one particle(fermion) problems?
There indeed exists a definition for coherent states for fermions which is quite important for the path-integral formulation of (non-relativistic as well as relativistic) quantum field theory. The complication noted by Demystifier needs to be overcome by introducing Grassmann valued c-number fields. See, e.g., my QFT manuscript
Well,I was looking for the reason that why it seems impossible at first and then a change of view makes it OK!

Yes, you can have coherent states formed from only even or odd numbers of fermions. Excitations in superconductors are an example and are observable as coherence factors in all kinds of measurements in superconductors.

The Grassmannian coherent states mentioned by van Hees are indeed an important formal concept in QFT, but they can't be prepared as actual states. So you can't think of classical states of fermions as limits of Grassmannian coherent states.

Shyan said:
I was looking for the reason that why it seems impossible at first and then a change of view makes it OK!
Taking the definition of "coherent state" as one of "minimal uncertainty" is too restrictive. Generalized coherent states can be constructed group-theoretically, and the construction is applicable to a surprisingly large number of cases.

Try this book:

J-P. Gazeau, "Coherent States in Quantum Physics",
Wiley 2009, ISBN 978-3-527-40709-5

https://www.amazon.com/dp/352740709X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Chapter 11 discusses fermionic coherent states.

Demystifier said:

DrDu said:
That depends. You can also construct coherent states for e.g. a harmonic oscillator.

Shyan said:
Also,in a one particle problem,the issues you mentioned can't arise!

As I said,What about one particle(fermion) problems?
The original question in the first post, referring to fermions, suggested that one had the many-particle field-theoretic notion of coherent state in mind.

By the way, except those two meanings of the term "coherent state", there is also a third meaning: any pure state, i.e., state in the Hilbert space with a well defined phase.

DrDu said:
The Grassmannian coherent states mentioned by van Hees are indeed an important formal concept in QFT, but they can't be prepared as actual states. So you can't think of classical states of fermions as limits of Grassmannian coherent states.
True. Or from a mathematical point of view, Grassmannian coherent states are not states in the (physical) complex Hilbert space.

1. What are coherent states in quantum mechanics?

Coherent states are a type of quantum state in which the quantum uncertainty is minimized. They are generated by a unitary transformation of the ground state and have properties similar to classical states.

2. How are coherent states related to fermions?

In quantum mechanics, fermions are particles that follow the Pauli exclusion principle and have half-integer spin. Coherent states can be constructed for fermions by using the creation and annihilation operators, which represent the fermionic degrees of freedom.

3. What are the advantages of using coherent states in fermionic systems?

Coherent states in fermionic systems have several advantages, including being eigenstates of the annihilation operator, having a well-defined classical limit, and being more easily accessible experimentally compared to other quantum states.

4. How do coherent states and fermions behave in a many-body system?

In a many-body system, coherent states of fermions can exhibit collective quantum behavior, such as superconductivity, which is characterized by the formation of Cooper pairs. The coherent nature of the states allows for the emergence of macroscopic quantum phenomena.

5. Can coherent states and fermions be used in quantum information processing?

Yes, coherent states and fermions have been proposed as a platform for quantum information processing due to their robustness against decoherence and the ability to manipulate them using simple operations. They have potential applications in quantum computing and quantum communication.