Coherent states in quantum mechanics (Schrödinger Cat)

In summary, the problem is to find the eigenvalues and the relation between the operators ##x## and ##p## for the coherent states of the harmonic oscillator. The solution is straightforward, and the only doubt is regarding the eigenvalues for the state ##-\alpha\rangle##.
CharlieCW
Hello. I've been struggling for a day with the following problem on Quantum coherent states, so I was wondering if you could tell me if I'm going in the right direction (I've read the books of Sakurai and Weinberg but can't seem to find an answer)

1. Homework Statement

*Suppose a Schrödinger cat state given by ##|\alpha_+>:=N(|\alpha\rangle+|-\alpha\rangle)##, where ##|\alpha\rangle## are the coherent states of the harmonic oscillator and ##N## is a constant of proportionality. Verify the relationship of Robertson-Schrödinger for ##X## and ##P## operators.

2. Relevant expressions

$$a|\alpha\rangle=\alpha|\alpha\rangle$$

$$x=x_0(a+a^{\dagger})$$

$$p=p_0(a-a^{\dagger})$$

3. The attemp at a solution

The solution is simple as we only have to calculate ##\langle x \rangle##, ##\langle p \rangle##, ##\langle x^2 \rangle##, ##\langle p^2 \rangle##, and ##rel(x,p)##.

From the definition of coherent states, ##a|\alpha\rangle=\alpha|\alpha\rangle## and with ##x=x_0(a+a^{\dagger})##, I began by calculating ##\langle x \rangle## in the following way:

$$\langle x \rangle=\langle\alpha_+|x|\alpha_+\rangle=(\langle\alpha|+\langle-\alpha|)x(|\alpha\rangle+|-\alpha\rangle)$$
$$\langle x \rangle=\langle\alpha|x|\alpha\rangle+\langle\alpha|x|-\alpha\rangle+\langle-\alpha|x|\alpha\rangle+\langle-\alpha|x|-\alpha\rangle=x_0(\langle\alpha|a+a^\dagger|\alpha\rangle+\langle\alpha|a+a^\dagger|-\alpha\rangle+\langle-\alpha|a+a^\dagger|\alpha\rangle+\langle-\alpha|a+a^\dagger|-\alpha\rangle)$$

From the definition ##a|\alpha\rangle=\alpha|\alpha\rangle##, we deduce ##|\alpha\rangle a^\dagger=|\alpha\rangle \alpha^{*}##.

Moreover (I'm not entirely sure of this step), by replacing ##\alpha'\rightarrow-\alpha## we deduce that ##a|-\alpha\rangle=-\alpha|\alpha\rangle## and ##|-\alpha\rangle a^\dagger=|\alpha\rangle -\alpha^{*}##.

Applying the operators to the above expression, we finally get:

$$\langle x \rangle=x_0 ((a+a^{*})+(-a+a{*})+(a-a^{*})+(-a-a^{*}))=0$$

In an analogous manner, ##\langle p \rangle=0##. If this procedure is correct, the calculation of the rest of the problem is straightforward.

My main doubt comes with the eigenvalues of the coherent states for ##|-\alpha\rangle##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it true that ##|\alpha\rangle a^\dagger=|\alpha\rangle \alpha^{*}## and ##|-\alpha\rangle a^\dagger=|\alpha\rangle -\alpha^{*}##?Any help would be much appreciated!Yes, it is true that ##|\alpha\rangle a^\dagger=|\alpha\rangle \alpha^{*}## and ##|-\alpha\rangle a^\dagger=|\alpha\rangle -\alpha^{*}##. Your calculation of the expectation values for ##\langle x \rangle## and ##\langle p \rangle## is correct. To calculate the remaining expectation values and the relation between ##x## and ##p##, you can use the following properties of the coherent states: $$ \langle \alpha | a^{\dagger}a | \alpha \rangle = \langle \alpha | \alpha \rangle \alpha^* \alpha = | \alpha |^2 $$ $$ \langle \alpha | aa^{\dagger} | \alpha \rangle = \langle \alpha | \alpha \rangle \alpha \alpha^* = | \alpha |^2 $$ $$ \langle \alpha | a^{\dagger} a + aa^{\dagger} | \alpha \rangle = | \alpha |^2 ( \alpha^* + \alpha ) = 2| \alpha |^2 \cos \theta $$ and $$ \langle \alpha | a^{\dagger} a - aa^{\dagger} | \alpha \rangle = | \alpha |^2 ( \alpha^* - \alpha ) = 2| \alpha |^2 \sin \theta , $$ where ##\theta## is the phase of the coherent state. From these equations, you can easily calculate the remaining expectation values and the relation between ##x## and ##p##. I hope this helps.

1. What are coherent states in quantum mechanics?

Coherent states in quantum mechanics are a type of quantum state that exhibits properties of both classical and quantum mechanical systems. They are characterized by a well-defined phase and a minimum uncertainty in position and momentum.

2. How are coherent states related to the Schrödinger Cat thought experiment?

The Schrödinger Cat thought experiment is a hypothetical scenario in which a cat is trapped in a box with a radioactive substance that has a 50/50 chance of decaying and releasing poison. Coherent states are used to describe the quantum superposition of the cat being both alive and dead at the same time, similar to how quantum particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

3. What is the significance of coherent states in quantum computing?

Coherent states are important in quantum computing because they can be used as a basis for representing and manipulating quantum information. They also have the unique property of preserving their coherence, making them useful for quantum information processing tasks.

4. How are coherent states experimentally observed?

Coherent states can be experimentally observed through techniques such as homodyne detection, which measures the amplitude and phase of a quantum state. They can also be created using laser light and other techniques in quantum optics.

5. How do coherent states differ from other quantum states?

Coherent states differ from other quantum states in that they have a minimum uncertainty in position and momentum, and they maintain their coherence over time. They also have a well-defined phase, which is not the case for other types of quantum states.