Coil & Generator Homework: Solve for Current & Reactance

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a circuit problem using various formulas and equations. The problem involved calculating current, voltage, and reactance. The individual in the conversation had difficulty solving for Xc as they did not have all the necessary variables. The conversation ended with the suggestion to focus on the most useful equation and identifying the specific variable needed for calculation.
Flop880

Homework Statement

problem is attached

Homework Equations

formula sheet is attached

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I=v/z=110v/11Ω=10A

2. sinø=(Imax)(X)/v=(10A)(9Ω)/110V

ø=54.9°

3. I don't know what to do for this. I want to use Xc=1/ωC and solve for C but I need to first find Xc somehow

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 427
  • formula.png
    formula.png
    16 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Among all the formulas there is an expression for Xc, but there also is a more useful one. Remove the others and you find it !

Yea I saw the expressions for Xc but I have a hard time solving for it since I don't have R and other variables that I need

You sure you need it ? And what other variables would you want to know ? For which of your relevant equations is that ?

What was it again you wanted to calculate ?

. I would need to know the frequency of the circuit or the capacitor value to find Xc.

4. To solve for Xl, I can use Xl=ωL and solve for L. However, I need to know the frequency of the circuit to find ω. Alternatively, I can use the formula Xl=2πfL, where f is the frequency and L is the inductance. So, I would need to know either the frequency or the inductance value to solve for Xl.

1. What is a coil?

A coil is a type of electrical component that is made up of a series of loops or windings of wire. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to create inductance, which is the property of an electrical circuit that causes it to resist changes in current.

2. What is a generator?

A generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of a coil of wire that rotates within a magnetic field, creating a flow of electrons and generating electricity.

3. How do you calculate current in a coil?

To calculate the current in a coil, you will need to know the voltage applied across the coil and the resistance of the coil. You can then use Ohm's law (I = V/R) to calculate the current.

4. What is reactance?

Reactance is the opposition that an electrical circuit offers to the flow of alternating current (AC). It is measured in ohms and is caused by the inductive or capacitive effects of the circuit components.

5. How do you calculate reactance in a coil?

To calculate the reactance in a coil, you will need to know the frequency of the AC current, the inductance of the coil, and the value of pi (π). You can then use the formula X = 2πfL, where X is the reactance, f is the frequency, and L is the inductance of the coil.