Building a Coilgun for Shooting Steel Spheres: Need Help!

In summary, the conversation is about building a coilgun to shoot 45mm steel spheres and determining the necessary specifications for the coil. This includes calculating the force needed, considering the distance between the ferromagnetic material and the solenoid, and looking for helpful resources.
static_cast
Hey guys! Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but this seemed the most relevant...

So I'm working on a coilgun to shoot 45mm steel spheres, but I need to figure out how long [diameter, gauge, etc] my coil needs to be.

I want to generate a force of about 5 Joules or more [preferably more].

Using "magnet wire," what gauge, # of turns, do I need?

The distance between the ferromagnetic material and the solenoid will probably be between 0.75mm-1mm, depending on the size pipe I can find [else I might need to make my own].

Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: I gave distance from the top of the projectile to the bottom of the solenoid. ;)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First of all you have to calculate the force from energy [5 Joules].
The energy E=mass*speed^2/2
mass=Vol*specgravity
Vol=4/3* PI()*r^3
r=45/2=22.5 mm [2.25 cm]
Vol=47.71 cm^3 mass=7.81*47.71/1000 =0.372 kg.
speed=sqrt(2*E/mass)=5.18 m/sec
For a time of 0.3 sec acceleration will be: speed/time=17.28 m/sec^2
Then the force will be F=acc*mass=17.28*0.372=6.43 N.
Now you can continue following [for instance]:
http://trg.fke.utm.my/members/dahiru/Journals_published/Journal_Elecmag_Gjet.pdf

1. How does a coilgun work?

A coilgun works by using electromagnetic coils to accelerate a projectile, such as a steel sphere, down a barrel at high speeds. The coils are energized in a specific sequence, attracting and repelling the projectile to propel it forward.

2. What materials are needed to build a coilgun?

The materials needed to build a coilgun include a power source, electromagnetic coils, a barrel, a projectile (steel sphere), a trigger mechanism, and a circuit board or control system. Additional materials may be needed depending on the specific design and power requirements of the coilgun.

3. How fast can a steel sphere be shot from a coilgun?

The speed at which a steel sphere can be shot from a coilgun depends on various factors such as the power of the electromagnetic coils, the length and diameter of the barrel, and the weight of the projectile. With proper design and construction, speeds of over 1000 meters per second can be achieved.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a coilgun?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when building a coilgun. Since it involves the use of electromagnetic energy and high-speed projectiles, it is important to wear protective gear, follow proper construction and wiring protocols, and handle the coilgun with caution to prevent any accidents.

5. Can a coilgun be used for hunting or self-defense purposes?

No, a coilgun is not suitable for hunting or self-defense purposes. It is not a reliable or practical tool for these purposes, and it may also be illegal to use in many places. It is important to only use a coilgun for educational or experimental purposes and to follow all applicable laws and regulations.